If you’re looking for a tasty and healthy treat, then look no further than a Date Walnut Loaf. This delicious loaf is packed with fiber, protein, and healthy fats, making it the perfect snack or dessert. In this article, we’ll explore the history of this popular treat, the ingredients and preparation process, and some tips for making the perfect loaf.
What You Need To Make Date And Walnut Loaf Cake Recipe
Date And Walnut Loaf Cake Recipe
- 125 g nsalted butter, cubed and softened, plus extra for the tin
- 200 g soft dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 150 g light muscovado sugar
- 2 pic eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 100 g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- To begin, preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Take a 2lb loaf tin, measuring 22 x 10cm and 6cm deep, and spread butter all around the tin. Afterward, line it with baking parchment.Next, take a large bowl and place the butter, dates, and bicarbonate of soda. The bicarbonate of soda helps to break down the dates. Pour 150ml of boiling water over the ingredients, give it a stir so that the butter melts, and then leave it to stand for around 20 minutes until the dates become soft.
- After 20 minutes, add the sugar to the bowl and whisk it until it becomes smooth. Then, gradually add in the eggs and whisk until they are fully combined. Beat in the baking powder, flour, and a pinch of sea salt. Continue whisking until the mixture becomes smooth and there are no lumps of flour left.Take three-quarters of the walnuts and fold them into the mixture. Once that's done, pour the mixture into the prepared tin. Sprinkle the remaining walnuts over the top of the mixture.
- Place the tin into the preheated oven and bake it for 20 minutes. After that, reduce the oven temperature to 170C/150C fan/gas 3 and continue baking for another 45-50 minutes, or until the cake becomes golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.When the cake is done, let it cool in the tin for 15 minutes before transferring it onto a cooling rack. Once it is on the rack, let it cool completely. When it is fully cooled, lightly dust it with icing sugar and serve it in slices.
- kcal 479
- fat 23g
- saturates 10g
- carbs 59g
- sugars 37g
- fibre 3g
- protein 8g
- salt 0.6g
Pro Tips for Making Date and Walnut Loaf Cake
If you are a baking enthusiast and love to experiment with different ingredients, then you must try making a date and walnut loaf cake. This cake is a perfect blend of sweetness and nuttiness, which makes it a popular choice for dessert lovers. In this article, we will share some pro tips for making a date and walnut loaf cake that is not only delicious but also looks visually appealing.
- Soaking the dates in hot water and bicarbonate of soda makes them soft and plump, which enhances their natural sweetness and flavour. Make sure to let the date mixture cool before adding it to the cake batter.
- Creaming the butter and sugar until light and fluffy is crucial for the texture and structure of the cake. This step incorporates air into the mixture, which helps the cake rise and become light.
- Adding the beaten eggs gradually and mixing well after each addition prevents the cake batter from curdling and ensures that the eggs are well incorporated into the mixture.
- Sifting the self-raising flour into the bowl ensures that there are no lumps in the flour and helps the cake rise evenly.
- Folding the flour and walnuts into the mixture gently ensures that the cake batter is not overworked, which could result in a dense and heavy cake.
- Leveling the top of the cake batter with a spatula ensures that the cake rises evenly and does not have a lopsided or uneven appearance.
Making a date and walnut loaf cake is not difficult if you follow these pro tips. So, next time you are in the mood for baking, try making this delicious cake and impress your family and friends. Don’t forget
You May Also Like