Looking for a delightful dessert recipe? Check out the banana chocolate chip cake recipe, a crowd-pleaser with various preparation options, including vegan and traditional versions.
Whether you’re looking for a healthy snack or a decadent treat, there’s a banana chocolate chip cake recipe out there for you. So why not give it a try and see what all the fuss is about?
Key Banana Chocolate Chip Cake Ingredients & Why
All-purpose flour gives structure and suspends chocolate chips.
Salt enhances cake flavor.
Baking soda creates air pockets for rising.
Unsalted butter adds flavor and moisture.
Light brown sugar
Light brown sugar sweetens and moistens.
Eggs provide structure, fluffiness, and moisture.
Mashed ripe bananas
Mashed ripe bananas add density and natural sweetness without mushiness.
Chocolate chips bring sweet indulgence; mix with flour to keep them afloat.
Buttermilk adds moisture and tang.
Quality vanilla extract elevates indulgent flavors.
Plain full-fat yogurt
Full-fat yogurt ensures extra moist banana cake.
How Do You Make The Best Banana Chocolate Chip Cake?
- Preheat to 350°F (175°C) and grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together bananas, melted butter, milk, and an egg. Gently fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture, add chocolate chips, and pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes. Check with a toothpick; it should come out clean, with melted chocolate being the only exception.
Pro Tips For Making Banana Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe
- Opt for very ripe bananas – they add density and natural sweetness to the batter. Look for brown blotches but avoid mushiness.
- Avoid overmixing the batter, as it can lead to a tough cake rather than a tender one. Expect some banana-induced lumps in the batter – that’s perfectly fine.
- Choose mini chocolate chips to prevent them from sinking in the thick batter and making the cake hard to slice.
- Ensure you use plain full-fat yogurt, as it’s essential for an extra moist banana cake.
- Frost the cake only when it has completely cooled for the best results.
- Line the cake pans with parchment paper at the bottom and apply baking spray to the sides.
- Add coarse sugar on top for a delightful crunchy texture before baking.
- Elevate the indulgent flavors with high-quality vanilla extract.
- To check for doneness, insert a toothpick into the center of the cake; it’s ready when it comes out clean.
- After cooling for 15 minutes, transfer the banana cake from the pan to a wire rack.
How to Store Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
- Store banana cake at room temperature for up to three days in an airtight container.
- For extended storage, refrigerate the cake.
- Freeze unfrosted cake for up to 3 months, but avoid freezing frosted cake due to dairy content.
- To freeze an unfrosted cake, double wrap it in plastic and aluminum foil, then place it in an airtight container in the freezer.
- Keep a frosted cake fresh by covering and storing it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can You Freeze Banana Chocolate Chip Cake?
Freeze banana chocolate chip cake with ease. Robustly flavorful cakes like banana and chocolate hold up superbly when double-wrapped. The cake, without icing, retains its quality.
After complete cooling, double-wrap it with clingfilm and foil for up to 3 months of storage. To defrost, unwrap and place on a wire rack at room temperature for 3-4 hours.
the cake to warm up before icing to prevent issues with frosting setting too fast on a cold cake. Keep in mind that freezing a frosted cake is discouraged due to the dairy content.
Frequently Asked Questions About Banana Chocolate Chip Cake
Can I use regular size chocolate chips in the cake?
Make your banana chocolate chip cake with regular-sized chocolate chips for a tasty treat.
Do I need to add icing or glaze to the cake?
You don’t have to add icing or glaze because the cake is naturally moist, but feel free to if you’d like.
Can I make variations to the recipe?
Get creative with the recipe by adding Nutella, raisins, or switching to gluten-free flour.
Banana Chocolate Chip Cake Recipe
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Start by preheating the oven to 350°F (175°C) and then grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together bananas, melted butter, milk, and an egg. Gently combine the banana mixture with the flour mixture, and then stir in chocolate chips. Finally, pour the batter into the prepared baking dish.
- In the preheated oven, bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (melted chocolate on the toothpick is acceptable).