Looking for the perfect breakfast or dessert option? Check out the Apple Raisin Cake Recipe – a delightful blend of sweet and tart flavors, featuring fresh apples and plump raisins.
Whether you’re looking for a tasty treat to enjoy with your morning coffee or a satisfying dessert to cap off your evening meal, this recipe is sure to please. Check out some of the best apple raisin cake recipes available online and get ready to indulge in a slice of heaven!
Key Apple Raisin Cake Ingredients & Why
The star ingredient for a sweet and fruity flavor, typically peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped, diced, or sliced.
They contribute chewiness and a concentrated sweetness, added to the batter with other dry ingredients.
The primary dry ingredient providing structure and texture, typically all-purpose flour.
Sweetens and tenderizes, with options of white or brown sugar.
A warm spice complementing apples and raisins, usually mixed into the dry ingredients.
A leavening agent for a rising cake, added to the dry ingredients.
Adds moisture and tenderness, typically combined with the wet ingredients.
Imparts tanginess and activates baking soda, usually included in the wet ingredients.
Offer crunch and nuttiness when chopped and mixed into the batter alongside raisins.
How Do You Make The Best Apple Raisin Cake?
- Quickly mix apples and sugar in a medium bowl, then wait 30 minutes.
- Achieve perfect results by preheating to 350°F (175°C) and greasing and flouring two 10×15-inch baking pans.
- Combine water with apples, blend eggs and margarine, add flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, stir in raisins and walnuts, then transfer to pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for an hour or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let it cool briefly before removing it from the pans.
- In a medium bowl, blend confectioners’ sugar, hot water, and vanilla extract. Then, drizzle it over the warm cakes for a delicious finish.
Pro Tips For Making Apple Raisin Cake Recipe
- Choose any apple variety for baking, but some, like Granny Smith for a tart, firm texture or Honeycrisp for sweetness, work best. Red Royal Gala apples also bake well.
- For raisins in your cake, consider pre-soaking in water or rum to enhance flavor and plumpness.
- When blending dry and wet ingredients, avoid overmixing to prevent a tough, dense cake.
- Elevate your apple cake with cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger for added warmth and depth.
- Opt for a springform pan for easy cake removal, or use a regular cake pan lined with parchment paper.
- Enhance your slice of apple cake with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delightful contrast of creamy coolness to the warm, spiced cake.
How to Store Apple Raisin Cake
- For short-term storage (2-3 days), keep the cake in an airtight container at room temperature in a cool, dry place. Some caution against leaving it too long, as fresh apples can cause sliminess.
- For 2-5 days of storage, use an airtight container in the fridge.
- To store beyond 5 days, freeze the cake in a freezer-safe bag or container, but be mindful of potential texture changes.
Can You Freeze Apple Raisin Cake?
This cake freezes beautifully. Wrap it tightly without icing, and it’s good for up to 3 months. Alternatively, for longer storage, double wrap it in plastic and foil or use a freezer bag, keeping it fresh for up to 1 year. When ready to use, simply thaw it in the fridge overnight or at room temperature for a few hours.
Frequently Asked Questions About Apple Raisin Cake
What is apple raisin cake?
Craft a delightful apple raisin cake using apples, raisins, and a medley of spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and pecans.
How do I make apple raisin cake?
Crafting an apple raisin cake is a breeze. Just mix flour, sugar, eggs, oil, and spices, then fold in the chopped apples and raisins. Pour the mixture into a baking pan and bake for about 45 minutes. Some variations include adding a cinnamon sugar topping or a cream cheese frosting.
Can I substitute other fruits for the apples in apple raisin cake?
While some recipes allow for the use of alternative fruits like pears, peaches, or berries instead of apples, it’s important to note that this substitution can lead to a distinct change in both flavor and texture within the resulting cake.
Is apple raisin cake healthy?
The nutritional profile of apple raisin cake hinges on the chosen recipe. In general, sugar and oil are common components, leading to increased calorie and fat levels. Nevertheless, some recipes opt for more wholesome alternatives like whole wheat flour or applesauce to promote a healthier indulgence.
Apple Raisin Cake Recipe
- 3 ½ cups apples - peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups white sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup margarine, melted
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Combine apples and sugar in a medium bowl, allowing them to sit for approximately 30 minutes.
- To get started, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and prepare two 10x15-inch baking pans by greasing and flouring them.
- Begin by stirring water into the bowl containing apples. In a separate small bowl, blend together eggs and margarine, then incorporate this mixture into the apples. Next, combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt, followed by the addition of raisins and walnuts. Finally, transfer the resulting mixture into the prepared pans.
- In the preheated oven, bake for one hour or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow it to cool briefly before removing it from the pans.
- Combine powdered sugar, hot water, and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Then, drizzle this mixture over the warm cakes.