Looking for a festive dessert to impress your guests this holiday season? The almond cranberry orange cake is the perfect choice! It combines sweet and tart flavors with the delightful crunch of almonds. Whether you’re hosting a potluck or a party, this cake is sure to be a hit. Plus, it’s easy to make, so you can spend more time enjoying the festivities and less time in the kitchen.
Check out these recipes from Fig & Olive Platter,Eat Dessert Snack, Mom Loves Baking,Pastry Tales, and Paleo Running Momma,or watch the National Trust’s recipe videoto get started!
Key Almond Cranberry Orange Cake Ingredients & Why
Elevate your almond cranberry orange cake with almond flour for a nutty, moist touch.
Infuse your cake with a burst of flavor by incorporating tart cranberries, whether dried or frozen.
Add a zesty citrus twist to your cake by using orange zest, a perfect companion to cranberries.
Sweeten your cake to perfection, with variations from white granulated sugar to unrefined golden caster sugar.
Indulge in richness and flavor by incorporating butter into your almond cranberry orange cake, with quantities ranging from 1.5 sticks to 225g.
Achieve perfect structure and cohesion in your cake, with the number of eggs varying from 2 large ones to 4 large ones.
Enhance moisture in your cake with optional sour cream.
Elevate the flavor profile of your cake with optional vanilla extract.
How Do You Make The Best Almond Cranberry Orange Cake?
- Preheat oven to 350°F, grease a 9×9 baking dish.
- Combine butter and sugar in a stand mixer for 2 minutes. Gradually add eggs, one at a time. Mix in vanilla, almond extract, Greek yogurt, salt, orange zest, and juice until well blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a separate bowl. Mix with wet ingredients until fully combined, avoiding overmixing. Gently fold in cranberries, then spread the mixture into the 9X9 baking dish.
- Mix Almond Sugar Topping ingredients in a small bowl and evenly sprinkle over the cake batter for added clarity.
- Bake at 350°F on the middle shelf for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Then, let the cake cool for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the cake cools, blend Orange Glaze ingredients until smooth, then drizzle it evenly over the cake. Enjoy!
Pro Tips For Making Almond Cranberry Orange Cake Recipe
- Opt for fresh cranberries for the best flavor and texture, although frozen ones can work too, though they may release more liquid when baked, affecting the cake’s texture.
- Elevate the almond flavor by toasting them before adding to the batter for a delightful crunch.
- Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature, especially the eggs and butter, for smoother mixing and a seamless batter.
- Avoid overmixing the batter; combine ingredients only until blended to prevent toughening the cake from excessive gluten development.
- Prevent sticking by greasing and flouring the cake pan or use parchment paper on the bottom for easy removal.
- Bake until a toothpick in the center emerges clean to guarantee thorough cooking without underbaking.
- Prior to slicing and serving, allow the cake to cool completely to enhance flavor development and ensure proper setting.
How to Store Almond Cranberry Orange Cake
- Room Temp: Store cake covered at room temperature for 3 days.
- Refrigerator: For extended freshness, refrigerate.
- Freezer: Freeze cake up to 3 months. Wrap tightly in plastic and aluminum foil. Thaw in fridge before enjoying.
- Make Ahead: Prep dry ingredients, store in labeled ziplock bag with instructions.
Can You Freeze Almond Cranberry Orange Cake?
- Cool the cake completely before freezing.
- Slice it into individual servings.
- Store slices in an airtight container or tightly wrap with plastic and foil.
- Label with date and contents.
- Freeze for up to 1 month or 3 months.
- To defrost, refrigerate overnight. Once thawed, add the glaze. Alternatively, microwave or toaster oven.
Frequently Asked Questions About Almond Cranberry Orange Cake
What is almond cranberry orange cake?
Delight in a one-layer almond cranberry orange cake, perfectly melding the flavors of almonds, cranberries, and zesty orange.
How do I make almond cranberry orange cake?
Almond cranberry orange cake recipes are readily available on various websites. These recipes typically involve combining dry ingredients, such as flour, baking powder, and salt, with wet ingredients like butter, sugar, eggs, and orange zest. Additionally, cranberries and almonds are incorporated into the batter before baking it in a cake pan.
Can I make almond cranberry orange cake ahead of time?
You have the flexibility to prepare the almond cranberry orange cake in advance and store it. One source advises keeping it at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 3 days, while another recommends refrigerating it for up to 5 days.
Are there any variations of almond cranberry orange cake?
Enhance your almond cranberry orange cake with options like white chocolate buttercream or a loaf-style preparation.
Almond Cranberry Orange Cake Recipe
- ¾ cup (1.5 sticks) butter, softened
- ¾ cup white granulated sugar (use only ½ cup if using rehydrated dried cranberries)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 -½ teaspoons almond extract
- ½ cup plain greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice (juice of 1 orange)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- zest of 1 orange, about 2 teaspoons
- 1-½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1-½ cups frozen(thawed) or fresh cranberries, or about 1 cup dried cranberries rehydrated
Almond Sugar Topping:
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- ⅓ cup granulated white sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 1-2 Tablespoons orange juice concentrate, thawed
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Start by preheating the oven to 350°F, then prepare a 9x9 baking dish with baking spray.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, begin by creaming together the butter and sugar for approximately 2 minutes until the mixture becomes fluffy. Then, gradually add the eggs one at a time, ensuring thorough mixing. Finally, incorporate the vanilla, almond extract, Greek yogurt, salt, zest from one orange, and orange juice, mixing until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Then, mix these dry ingredients with the wet ones until they are just combined, ensuring all flour pockets are gone. Be cautious not to overmix. Finally, fold in the cranberries and spread the mixture into the prepared 9X9 baking dish.
- Combine Almond Sugar Topping ingredients in a small bowl, ensuring a thorough mix, then evenly sprinkle it over the cake batter.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and place your cake on the middle shelf. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Afterward, allow the cake to cool for 15-20 minutes.
- As the cake cools, smoothly combine the Orange Glaze ingredients, then evenly drizzle it over the cake. Enjoy!