Looking for a delicious and light dessert to enjoy in the summertime? Look no further than this recipe for Toasted Angel Food Cake with Strawberries! This delectable dish is easy to prepare, making it the perfect choice for busy individuals who want to enjoy a sweet treat without spending hours in the kitchen.
What You Need To Make Angel Food Cake with Strawberries Recipe
How To Make Angel Food Cake with Strawberries
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 ¾ cups white sugar
- 12 egg whites, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 ½ teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place 1 3/4 cups of sugar in a food processor and blend until superfine, about 2 minutes. This process helps to ensure that your cake will be light and fluffy.
- Sift half the fine sugar, cake flour, and salt together in a bowl. This process helps to eliminate any lumps and makes the flour mixture finer, which is important for a light and fluffy cake.
- Whisk egg whites, water, cream of tartar, and lemon extract together in a large bowl for 2 minutes. Beat in the remaining fine sugar using an electric mixer until medium peaks form. Sprinkle some of the flour mixture on top and stir it in gently. Repeat this process with the rest of the flour mixture. Spoon the batter carefully into an ungreased fluted tube pan.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven until it is golden brown, about 35 minutes. Invert the cake onto a cooling rack and let it cool completely, at least 25 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer on medium speed until it is light and creamy. Add lemon juice and beat until it is just blended. Gradually mix in all but 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar on low speed until the frosting is just blended. Stir in lemon zest.
- Mix 3/4 cup strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries thoroughly in a bowl with 2 tablespoons white sugar.
- Cut a curved, smile-shaped line near the bottom of each whole strawberry; carefully cut another, flatter curve above. Connect the two curves and carve out space between to create the smile. Leave room above the smile and below the leaves for eyeballs.
- Place the reserved 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar in a small bowl. Dust your hands with sugar and roll a tiny amount of stiff decorator icing between your fingers into a small ball. Place it on the strawberry, above the smile. Make another ball and stick it next to the first one. Stick 1 black sugar pearl onto each frosting ball to create eyes. Repeat this process with the remaining whole strawberries.
- Remove the cake carefully from the pan, scraping the edges from the side if needed. Slice the cake into 6 slices about 2 inches thick. Spread 2 tablespoons of butter equally on the outside of the slices.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a cake slice and toast it until it is lightly browned, about 1 minute per side. Place the toasted cake on a plate. Spoon some frosting on top and let it drip down. Spoon sugared berries around the cake and place a smiling strawberry on top. Repeat this process with the remaining cake slices, frosting
Pro Tips for Making Angel Food Cake with Strawberries
Angel food cake is a classic dessert that is light and fluffy, making it the perfect treat for summer. Topped with juicy strawberries, this cake is a delicious and refreshing dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Here are some pro tips to help you make the perfect angel food cake with strawberries.
Another important factor in making angel food cake is having the right equipment. An angel food cake pan is a must-have tool, as it helps the cake to rise and keep its shape. You will also need a stand mixer or hand mixer to beat the egg whites.
Prepping the Pan
Before you start making the cake batter, you need to prepare the angel food cake pan. Grease the pan well with cooking spray and make sure to get into all of the nooks and crannies. Then, dust the pan with flour and shake out any excess. This will help the cake to release easily from the pan.
Beating the Egg Whites
When it comes to making angel food cake, beating the egg whites is the most important step. Start by beating the egg whites until they are frothy, then add the cream of tartar. Continue to beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. This will take about 5-7 minutes.
Adding the Sugar
Once the egg whites are at the stiff peak stage, it’s time to add the sugar. Gradually add the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, while continuing to beat the egg whites. Beat until the sugar is fully incorporated and the egg whites are glossy and stiff.
Sifting the Flour
Sifting the flour is an important step in making angel food cake. This will help to aerate the flour and ensure that the cake has a light and airy texture. Sift the cake flour over the beaten egg whites in three additions, gently folding the flour into the egg whites after each addition.
Baking the Cake
Once the batter is ready, it’s time to bake the cake. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes, or until it is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Topping with Strawberries
Once the cake is cool, it’s time to top it with the sliced strawberries. Arrange the strawberries on top of the cake, or serve them on the side for people to add as much or as little as they like.
This Toasted Angel Food Cake with Strawberries recipe is a sweet and delicious dessert that is perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re hosting a summer barbecue or simply looking for a light and refreshing treat, this recipe is sure to impress your friends and family. So why wait? Give it a try today!
You May Also Like