Are you in search of a sweet and nutty delight? Your answer lies in the almond caramel cake! This cake combines caramel and almond flavors to please any sweet tooth. Whether you’re celebrating or craving a treat, the almond caramel cake is sure to impress.
From the classic Swedish Toscakaka to the vegan and gluten-free version, there are many variations of this cake to try. In this article, we’ll explore some of the best almond caramel cake recipes out there, so get ready to indulge in this delectable dessert!
Key Almond Caramel Cake Ingredients & Why
Butter enriches and moistens the cake, typically using unsalted butter for salt control.
Sugar brings sweetness; granulated sugar is common, but recipes may suggest light brown sugar or honey.
Eggs bind and structure the cake.
Almonds provide a nutty, crunchy touch, usually as sliced or slivered pieces.
Heavy cream creates the caramel sauce for a rich, creamy topping.
Dulce de Leche
Dulce de Leche, akin to caramel, enhances flavor and moisture in select recipes.
Vanilla imparts flavor to both the cake and caramel sauce.
How Do You Make The Best Almond Caramel Cake?
- Preheat your oven to 325°F and line a 9” cake pan with parchment paper.
- Make caramel by melting butter and granulated sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Swirl occasionally until it simmers, bubbles, and turns deep tan, with almost all sugar dissolved.
- Remove caramel from heat, mix with cream until smooth. Pour into cake pan, coat bottom evenly. Add slivered almonds, let cool as you prepare cake batter.
- Mix flour, spelt flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Mix sour cream, eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth.
- Whisk constantly, slowly adding olive oil until the batter is completely blended.
- Fold in the dry ingredients using a rubber spatula until no flour streaks are left.
- Pour cake batter onto caramel almond topping in the pan. Bake 35-40 minutes until golden top and edges separate.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 5 minutes, then quickly invert it onto a plate to prevent the caramel topping from adhering to the pan.
- Complement your experience with a robust espresso.
Pro Tips For Making Almond Caramel Cake Recipe
- Follow recipe instructions precisely, including measurements and baking times.
- Elevate the flavor with top-tier ingredients, especially homemade caramel sauce.
- Enhance almond flavor and texture by toasting them beforehand.
- Ensure smooth mixing by using room temperature ingredients, particularly butter and eggs.
- Prevent sticking by greasing the cake pan thoroughly and lining the bottom with parchment paper.
- Master the caramel sauce: avoid burning, stir consistently, and remove from heat at the desired color and consistency.
- Prior to serving, cool the cake in the pan briefly for a perfectly set caramel sauce and a intact cake.
- Enjoy your cake warm or at room temperature, optionally paired with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
How to Store Almond Caramel Cake
- Refrigerator: Make caramel in advance, store it for up to two weeks. Cake stays fresh at room temperature for three days, or refrigerate for 4-5 days. For longer storage, refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container.
- Room temperature: Keep Almond Cake in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- Freezer: Freeze this cake for up to 3 months.
Can You Freeze Almond Caramel Cake?
Freezing almond caramel cake and other cake varieties is a breeze once they’ve fully cooled. Cakes bursting with flavor, such as banana, chocolate, carrot, and pumpkin, gracefully endure freezing when wrapped in layers.
Bundt cakes and pound cakes join the ranks of excellent freezer candidates when properly cooled and securely wrapped. Even the Nordic delight, Tosca cake, embraces the freezing process.
Slicing frozen cake is made easy with a hot water-dipped sharp knife. Optimal enjoyment awaits when served chilled, though room temperature also offers a delightful taste experience.
Frequently Asked Questions About Almond Caramel Cake
What is almond caramel cake?
Almond caramel cake boasts an almond flour base, elegantly crowned with caramelized sugar and almonds, making it an exquisite dessert fit for any occasion.
When is almond torte served?
Almond torte is versatile, perfect for dessert, coffee cake, or breakfast.
Where can I buy almond caramel cake?
Enjoy almond caramel cake hassle-free. Just head to your local bakery or dessert shop, such as William Greenberg Desserts, for pick-up or delivery.
How is caramel almond upside-down cake made?
Craft a delectable caramel almond upside-down cake by starting with a layer of caramelized sugar and almonds in the cake pan, followed by pouring in the batter and baking until perfection.
Almond Caramel Cake Recipe
for the caramel almond topping
- 2 oz unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup (130 g) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
for the cake
- 3/4 cup (105 g) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (50 g) spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup (120 g) sour cream
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup (106 g) brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (120 g) olive oil
- Prepare by preheating the oven to 325°F and lining a 9” cake pan with parchment paper.
- To craft the caramel, begin by melting butter and granulated sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Swirl the pot occasionally until the mixture simmers, bubbles, and achieves a rich tan hue. Make sure the sugar is nearly dissolved.
- After removing the caramel from the heat, blend it smoothly with heavy cream. Pour this creamy caramel mixture into the cake pan, tilting it to ensure complete coverage at the bottom. Sprinkle slivered almonds on top and set it aside to cool while you get the cake batter ready.
- Whisk together flour, spelt flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Combine sour cream, eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla in a large bowl, whisking until the mixture is smooth and light.
- As you whisk continuously, slowly stream in the olive oil until the batter is fully homogenized.
- Incorporate the dry ingredients by gently folding them in with a rubber spatula until there are no more visible flour streaks.
- Gently pour the cake batter over the luscious caramel almond topping in the pan. Bake for 35-40 minutes until the cake's top achieves a rich, deep golden hue, and the edges gracefully detach from the sides.
- After just 5 minutes of cooling in the pan, invert the cake onto a plate to ensure the caramel topping doesn't stick to the pan.
- Enhance your enjoyment with a rich espresso.