Looking for a banana walnut cake recipe to satisfy your craving for a delicious and moist cake with a nutty twist? This easy-to-make cake is loaded with flavor, featuring mega banana taste, and topped with a rich cream cheese frosting. It’s perfect for everyday breakfast, snacks, or special occasions.
Whether you’re a fan of healthy low-sugar recipes or prefer a cake with caramelized bananas and buttermilk,there’s a banana walnut cake recipe out there for you. So why not put the kettle on, curl up with a good book or movie, and enjoy a slice of cozy banana bread?
Key Banana Walnut Cake Ingredients & Why
- Baking soda
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Mashed bananas
- Sour cream
- Whole milk
- Chopped walnuts
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Chopped walnuts
How Do You Make The Best Banana Walnut Cake?
- Preheat to 350°F and prep an 8-inch square pan with greased parchment paper for easy cleanup.
- In a big bowl, blend the dry ingredients.
- Start by mashing bananas in a medium bowl, using the back of a fork or a potato masher. Your goal is smoothness, but don’t worry about small lumps. Afterward, measure out 1 cup. Next, combine all the wet ingredients in the same bowl and mix them thoroughly for a well-blended mixture.
- Combine wet ingredients with flour and incorporate walnuts for a cohesive mix.
- Pour batter into the pan, bake 25-30 minutes, and let it cool on a wire rack until it’s completely set.
- Apply cream cheese frosting to the cooled cake, then refrigerate for 30 minutes for smoother cutting.
Pro Tips For Making Banana Walnut Cake Recipe
- Opt for overripe bananas for maximum sweetness and banana flavor, then mash them smooth.
- Ensure your butter, eggs, and sour cream or yogurt are at room temperature for smooth mixing.
- Sift dry ingredients to eliminate lumps and evenly distribute them.
- Gently fold in walnuts at the end for even distribution.
- Grease and flour your pan generously to prevent sticking.
- Bake until a toothpick comes out clean to ensure thorough cooking.
- Cool the cake completely before frosting to prevent melting.
- Get creative with frosting – try cream cheese, buttercream, or whipped cream.
- Store the cake airtight at room temperature for up to 4 days or freeze for 2 months.
How to Store Banana Walnut Cake
- Room Temp: Store cake at room temperature for 3-4 days in an airtight container, away from light and heat. Add a paper towel to prevent moisture and mold.
- Refrigerator: Keep cake cold in the fridge. To retain moisture, wrap in parchment paper and plastic wrap, then store in an airtight container or sealable bag. Before serving, bring it to room temp for 30 mins.
- Freezer: For long-term storage, freeze cooled cake. Wrap in plastic or foil, place in airtight container or freezer bag, removing extra air. Banana walnut cake stays good for two months. Thaw at room temp before serving.
Can You Freeze Banana Walnut Cake?
Preserve your banana walnut cake: Wrap unfrosted slices in plastic wrap and store for 2 months. For thawing, simply leave at room temperature before frosting. To freeze individual slices, wrap each in plastic wrap and aluminum foil for freshness.
Frequently Asked Questions About Banana Walnut Cake
What is the best way to store banana walnut cake?
To keep your cake fresh, place it in an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator.
Can I use overripe bananas for banana walnut cake?
Enhance your banana walnut cake with the rich flavor of overripe bananas.
How long can I store banana walnut cake?
Store banana walnut cake at room temperature for up to 4 days. For longer storage, transfer it to an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week, or freeze for up to 2 months.
Banana Walnut Cake Recipe
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour (180g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed very ripe banana (240g), about 3 medium bananas
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (120g)
- 2 eggs , lightly beaten
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons pure maple syrup, see note
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup finely chopped or ground walnuts
- To get started, preheat your oven to 350°F and prepare an 8-inch square pan by greasing it and lining it with parchment paper for a hassle-free cleanup.
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a large bowl for a uniform blend.
- Mash bananas in a medium bowl for a smooth texture, accepting small lumps. Measure 1 cup. Combine with the wet ingredients in the same bowl, ensuring a thorough mix.
- Blend the wet ingredients with the flour mixture, then gently fold in the walnuts.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan, bake for 25-30 minutes, and wait for it to cool completely on a wire rack.
- After allowing the cake to cool, spread a layer of cream cheese frosting, then refrigerate for 30 minutes to set the frosting and simplify the cutting process.