Looking for a perfect summer dessert? Blueberry Crumb Cake, bursting with fresh blueberries and topped with a crunchy, chewy crumb topping, is sure to impress and leave your guests wanting more.
Whether you’re entertaining a crowd or just looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with your morning coffee, blueberry crumb cake is the perfect choice. With a variety of recipes available online, you’re sure to find one that suits your taste and skill level. So why not give it a try and see for yourself why this cake is a summertime favorite?
Key Blueberry Crumb Cake Ingredients & Why
Adds richness and flavor.
Sweetens and tenderizes.
Enhances structure and richness.
Elevates flavor (look for pure vanilla).
Promotes a light, fluffy rise.
Boosts overall flavors.
Infuses warmth and flavor.
The star ingredient, bursting with juicy sweetness. No need to defrost frozen berries; gently fold in.
Optional for a finishing touch.
How Do You Make The Best Blueberry Crumb Cake?
- Preheat to 350°F and prep a 9-inch round pan with butter and flour.
- Combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg in a bowl. Stir in melted butter, add flour, mix well, and set aside.
- Whip butter and sugar in an electric mixer for 4-5 minutes until it lightens. Add eggs one at a time, then mix in vanilla, lemon zest, and sour cream. In another bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly combine this with the batter on low speed, then fold in blueberries for a well-mixed batter.
- Spoon and smooth the batter in the pan with a knife.
- Sprinkle topping evenly, bake 40-50 mins until cake tester clean, cool, and serve with confectioners’ sugar.
Pro Tips For Making Blueberry Crumb Cake Recipe
- Create the crumb topping by blending dry ingredients (flour, sugar, and cinnamon) with melted butter until clumps form. Set aside.
- Prepare the batter by beating butter and sugar until fluffy in an electric mixer. Fold in blueberries after mixing to avoid crushing them. To prevent berry sinking, coat them in flour.
- Grease a baking dish, spread the blueberry cake batter evenly, and sprinkle the crumb mixture over it in clumps. Incorporate some larger clumps for texture.
- Bake the blueberry crumb cake at 375°F for 45-55 minutes (or longer with frozen blueberries) until done.
- Slice and serve the crumb cake, optionally dusting with powdered sugar for extra flair. Enjoy it warm, or refrigerate for later, reheating at 300°F. It also freezes well
How to Store Blueberry Crumb Cake
- Store blueberry crumb cake at room temperature for up to 5 days. Use plastic wrap or foil to keep it fresh.
- For longer storage, refrigerate the cake for 3-5 days. Wrap it in plastic and place it in an airtight container.
- Freeze blueberry crumb cake for up to 3 months. Wrap it in plastic and foil. Thaw in the fridge and reheat at 300°F when ready to enjoy.
Can You Freeze Blueberry Crumb Cake?
- The Recipe Critic: Freeze the cake in foil or a freezer-safe bag for up to 2 months.
- Once Upon a Chef: Double-wrap the cooled cake in aluminum foil, plastic freezer wrap, or a heavy-duty freezer bag. It’ll stay fresh for 3 months.
- Cambrea Bakes: Freeze the whole cake or individual slices in an airtight container or freezer bag for one month.
- Tutti Dolci Baking Blog: Store crumb cake at room temperature overnight or refrigerate it in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Reheat at 350°F for 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Entertaining with Beth: After cooling, wrap the cake in plastic wrap and aluminum foil to freeze it for up to 3 months.
- Tastes Better From Scratch: Once the cake is fully cooled, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 3 months
Frequently Asked Questions About Blueberry Crumb Cake
What’s the difference between crumb cake and coffee cake?
Crumb cake is distinguished by its thick and substantial streusel topping, setting it apart from coffee cake.
How long will blueberry crumb cake keep?
At room temperature, your blueberry crumb cake will remain delicious for up to 3 days.
Can I use frozen blueberries?
Feel free to use frozen blueberries directly, no need to defrost. Just be cautious not to overmix, as frozen berries may cause the cake to turn blue.
Blueberry Crumb Cake Recipe
For the streusel:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
For the cake:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (3/4 stick)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups all- purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- Confectioners' sugar for sprinkling
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350°F, then prepare a 9-inch round baking pan by buttering and flouring it.
- In a bowl, combine granulated sugar, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Then, stir in the melted butter and add the flour. Mix thoroughly and set the mixture aside.
- Beat butter and sugar in an electric mixer for 4-5 minutes until light. Add eggs one by one, then mix in vanilla, lemon zest, and sour cream. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add this mixture to the batter and fold in blueberries for a fully mixed batter.
- Gently spoon the batter into the prepared pan, then use a knife to evenly spread it.
- Evenly sprinkle the topping over the batter, then bake for 40 to 50 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. After cooling, serve with a dusting of confectioners' sugar.