A typical Swedish layer cake or torte known as a “princess cake” is made of layers of light sponge cake, pastry cream, raspberry jam, and whipped cream that are alternated with each other. Marzipan is used to cover the cake, giving it a smooth, rounded top. The marzipan topping is often green, dusted with icing sugar, and frequently embellished with a pink marzipan rose. The basic components of Princess Cake are sponge cake, whipped cream, raspberries, pastry cream, marzipan, and powdered sugar.
Swedish Princess Cake Recipe
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 5 l pic arge egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 pinch fine salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a large saucepan, bring the half-and-half to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, cornstarch, sugar, and salt until smooth.
- Add half of the scalded milk to the bowl containing the eggs, constantly whisking to incorporate.
- Return the entire mixture to the saucepan containing the remaining milk, whisking over moderate heat.
- Continue whisking for about 2 to 5 minutes, until the mixture is thickened and begins to simmer.
- Allow the pastry cream to simmer, whisking for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla and cold, unsalted butter.
- Transfer to another bowl and allow it to cool completely.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 5 hours or up to three days before using.
- Total Fat 26g 34%
- Saturated Fat 13g 63%
- Cholesterol 111mg 37%
- Sodium 222mg 10%
- Total Carbohydrate 52g 19%
- Dietary Fiber 1g 3%
- Total Sugars 41g
- Protein 6g
- Vitamin C 1mg 4%
- Calcium 123mg 9%
- Iron 1mg 5%
- Potassium 137mg 3%
In Sweden, a dessert known as “princess cake” is called prinsesstrta. It is gorgeous and ideal for birthdays, get-togethers, or any other special event where you want to really show off your baking prowess. It has a handmade pastry cream filling with raspberry jam and uses a white cake mix.
Although making this cake takes some time, all the components can be created up to three days in advance. The finished cake is gorgeous, with a lovely exterior made of silky green marzipan. It is both appetizing and lovely.