The torta delle rose or torta a rose (from Italian: rose cake) is a traditional Mantuan and Brescian cake made with leavened dough rich in butter and sugar that is rolled out and set in a baking tin in the shape of a basket of rosebuds, thus the name.
Italian Rose Cake Recipe
- 18 oz flour all-purpose or bread
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ¼ tsp dry instant yeast
- 2 pic eggs whole
- ½ cup whole milk + 5 tbsp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pic lemon zest from one lemon
- 7 tbsp butter softened
- ¾ tsp fine salt
- 18 oz strawberry jam fruit-sweetened
- 3 ½ oz almonds no skins, sliced
- powdered sugar optional, for dusting top
Make the Dough
- In a stand mixer bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and yeast. Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla essence, and lemon zest in a separate bowl or measuring cup.
- Attach a paddle attachment to the stand mixer and set it to low speed. Gradually incorporate the milk and egg mixture into the flour mixture. Replace the paddle attachment with the dough hook when the dough appears shaggy.
- Using a spoonful at a time, slowly incorporate the softened butter into the mixture. Before adding the next piece of butter, make sure it's fully integrated into the dough.
- Add the salt after all of the butter has been added.
- Knead the dough for another 2 minutes with the dough hook. The dough ball should be soft but pliable.
- Allow the dough to rise until it has doubled in size (2-3 hours)
Form the Dough
- On a floured board, roll out the dough into a 14" x 20" (36 cm x 51 cm) rectangle.
- Cover the rectangle's surface with jam, leaving a 1" (2 12 cm) gap at the long side's edge to aid in the roll's sealing. Then, on top of the jam, streusel almonds.
- Form a log out of the dough (lengthwise).
- Cut into 2.5" (6 cm) slices after that.
- Place one roll in the middle (cut side up) of a 9" or 10" (23 cm – 25 cm) cake pan, and the rest of the slices (cut sides up) around it in a circle.
- Allow another hour for the dough to rise.
Bake the Cake
- Bake for 35-45 minutes at 325° F (165° C) or until a toothpick inserted into the dough comes out clean.
- Calcium: 94mg
- Vitamin C: 7mg
- Vitamin A: 106IU
- Sugar: 46g
- Fiber: 4g
- Potassium: 259mg
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Calories: 564kcal
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Fat: 9g
- Protein: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 109g
- Iron: 4mg
The beauty and flavor of this iconic Mantova treat, a leavened cake that like a bouquet of roses, is undeniable. According to legend, this Italian Rose Cake (Torta Delle Rose or Cake of Roses) was constructed for Isabella d’Este (a daughter of the King of Naples) around 1490 during the Italian Renaissance as a tribute to her legendary beauty. The Italian Rose Cake can be made in a variety of ways, but this version with almonds and strawberry will thrill all of your senses.