A stack cake, sometimes known as an apple stack cake, is a stacked cake with filling. The cakes are traditionally baked in a cast iron skillet, but they can also be baked. The cake batter contains molasses and produces a crisp cake that resembles shortbread or biscuits.
Apple Stack Cake Recipe
- In a 6-quart stockpot, combine the apples and water and heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover; cook, stirring occasionally, for 40-45 minutes or until apples are tender. To make a chunky sauce, mash everything together. Stir in the brown sugar and pie spice, and continue to cook, uncovered, for another 10-15 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed and the sauce has thickened. Allow to cool completely.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing basin until light and creamy. 1 at a time, add eggs, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; alternately add flour, baking powder, and baking soda to the creamed mixture, mixing well after each addition.
- Divide the dough into eight equal sections and roll each into a disk. Make eight 9-inch circles out of parchment. Roll out a dough disk to fit each parchment circle using a floured rolling pin. Place on baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the pans from the oven and place them on wire racks to cool completely.
- Spread 2/3 cup filling over 1 layer on a serving plate. Layers should be repeated. Wrap the remaining cake layer in plastic wrap and chill for 1-2 days, or until the layers soften. Sprinkle confectioner's sugar on top if desired.
- 13g fat (8g saturated fat)
- 54mg cholesterol
- 313mg sodium
- 94g carbohydrate (55g sugars, 4g fiber)
- 6g protein.
There are many different sorts of cake layer recipes, ranging from sponge-like layers to cookie dough-like layers; often a stack cake has several different flavors and varieties. A sorghum molasses-based gingerbread cake is one of the Bluegrass region’s recipes. Stack cake parties that aren’t associated with a wedding are rare, but they usually serve as a forum for individuals to share recipes and gossip. It is used throughout Appalachia, not just in Kentucky cuisine.
Each layer was often pressed exceedingly flat to accommodate the normal seven or eight layers. Ginger, apple, and molasses were among the most popular flavorings.