Coffee cake is a delicious and comforting treat that has been enjoyed by many for generations. Originating from Northern and Central Europe, it is a sweet cake that is usually enjoyed alongside a hot cup of coffee. Today, coffee cakes come in many variations, from classic cinnamon streusel to chocolate and fruit flavors. In this article, we will explore the history of coffee cake and provide you with some delicious and easy-to-follow recipes.
What You Need To Make Coffee Cake Recipe
How To Make Coffee Cake Recipe
- 170g butter or margarine, plus extra for the tins
- 170g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 170g self-raising flour
- 1 tbsp cooled instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water (add more if you like it stronger)
- 225g icing sugar
- 100g butter or margarine
- 1½ tbsp instant coffee, dissolved in 1 tbsp hot water
- strawberry jam (optional)
- walnuts or cherries, to decorate (optional)
- To start baking this delicious treat, preheat your oven to 180C/160C fan and prepare two 18cm sandwich tins by lining and buttering them. Next, grab a bowl and combine the sugar and butter, whisking until the mixture is incredibly fluffy and has a pale appearance.
- Take a mug and whisk the eggs using a fork. Gradually add the eggs to the mixture, including 1 tablespoon of flour each time, making sure not to use all of the flour at once. Once the eggs are fully combined, gently fold in the rest of the flour.
- Add the dissolved coffee to the mixture while still gently folding it in. Then, divide the mixture into the sandwich tins and cook for 25-30 minutes or until the cake has risen and is firm, and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Let the cake cool in the tin for five minutes before transferring it onto a wire rack to cool completely. If desired, you can freeze the cake at this point.
- Meanwhile, create the icing by beating the icing sugar and butter until the mixture is light and fluffy. Then, add the dissolved coffee and continue to whisk. Cover the icing and set it aside until it's ready to be used on the cake.
- To assemble the cake, spread half of the icing on the bottom of one sponge and then spread the strawberry jam on the bottom of the other sponge (if using). Sandwich the two sponges together, and then spread the remaining icing on top. For a decorative touch, add walnuts or cherries on top. Enjoy!
Pro Tips for Making Coffee Cake
Coffee cake is a classic baked good that can be enjoyed any time of day. Whether you are looking for a breakfast treat or an afternoon snack, coffee cake is a great choice. In this article, we will provide you with pro tips for making the perfect coffee cake that is sure to impress. We have researched and tested various methods to create a comprehensive guide that will help you achieve the best results possible.
The first step in making a delicious coffee cake is to select the best ingredients. The quality of your ingredients can make a significant difference in the flavor and texture of your cake. For the cake batter, use high-quality butter, sugar, and eggs. Choose all-purpose flour and add baking powder and salt for leavening. Consider adding a touch of vanilla extract to enhance the flavor of the cake.
For the streusel topping, use cold butter, flour, and sugar to create a crumbly texture. Adding cinnamon to the topping can give it a warm, spicy flavor. Consider adding chopped nuts or dried fruit to the topping for added texture and flavor.
Mixing the Batter
Mixing the batter correctly is essential for creating a light and fluffy cake. Start by creaming the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt and add it to the butter mixture in three additions, alternating with the milk.
Mix the batter until it is just combined, being careful not to overmix. Overmixing can cause the cake to become dense and heavy. Use a rubber spatula to fold in any add-ins, such as chocolate chips or fruit.
Adding the Streusel Topping
The streusel topping is a crucial element of any coffee cake. To make the topping, combine the flour, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in the cold butter until the mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top of the cake batter, pressing it down gently.
Baking the Cake
Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9-inch square baking pan. Pour the batter into the pan and spread it out evenly. Sprinkle the streusel topping over the batter, pressing it down gently.
Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cake to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Variations and Add-Ins
Coffee cake is a versatile treat that can be customized to your liking. Consider adding fresh fruit, such as berries or sliced apples, to the batter for added flavor and texture. You can also add nuts, such as chopped pecans or walnuts, to the streusel topping for added crunch.
For a more decadent cake, consider adding chocolate chips or cocoa powder to the batter. You can also add a cream cheese filling to the cake for added richness and flavor.
Storage and Serving Tips
Coffee cake can be stored at room temperature for up to three days. Cover the cake with plastic wrap or aluminum foil to keep it fresh. If you prefer a warm slice of cake, you can reheat it in the microwave or oven.
To serve, slice the cake into squares and serve it with a cup of coffee or tea. You can also top the cake with whipped cream or a drizzle of glaze for added sweetness.
Coffee cake is a delicious and versatile treat that can be enjoyed any time of day. From classic cinnamon streusel to chocolate and fruit flavors, there are many variations to choose from. By following our tips and tricks, you can make the perfect coffee cake that is sure to impress your family and friends.
You May Also Like