Sponge cake is a light cake made of egg whites, flour, and sugar, with baking powder added if desired. Sponge cakes, which are leavened with beaten eggs, are thought to have originated during the Renaissance in Spain.
Classic Victoria Sandwich Cake Recipe
For the filling
- 100 g butter, softened
- 140 g icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan 170°C/gas mark 5 5. Line two 20cm sandwich tins with non-stick baking paper and butter them.
- 200g caster sugar, 200g softened butter, 4 beaten eggs, 200g self-raising flour, 1 tsp baking powder, and 2 tbsp milk, combined in a large mixing bowl until smooth and soft batter.
- Divide the batter among the muffin tins and smooth the tops with a spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden and springy to the touch.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool entirely.
- To create the filling, mix together 100g softened butter and 140g sifted icing sugar until smooth and creamy, then add a drop of vanilla essence (if using).
- Cover the bottom of one of the sponges with buttercream. Sandwich the second sponge on top of the 170g strawberry jam.
- Before serving, dust with a little icing sugar. Eat within 2 days if stored in an airtight container.
- fat 28g
- saturates 17g
- carbs 76g
- sugars 57g
- fibre 0.6g
- protein 5g
- low in salt 0.9g
Depending on the amount of guests the cake will serve, wedding cakes come in a variety of sizes. Modern pastry chefs and cake designers employ a variety of ingredients and tools to create a cake that reflects the couple’s personalities. Popular components include marzipan, fondant, gum paste, buttercream, and chocolate. The cost of a cake varies depending on its size and components. The cost of a cake is usually calculated per person or per slice.  Depending on the pastry chef that is engaged to produce the cake, prices might range from a few dollars to a few hundred dollars per person or slice. In western society, wedding cakes and cake decorating in general have become a sort of pop culture symbol.