If you’re a fan of baking, you’ve probably heard of fondant frosting. This type of frosting is commonly used to cover cakes and create beautiful and intricate designs.
But what exactly is fondant frosting? How is it made? And most importantly, how do you use it to create stunning cakes that taste just as good as they look?
In this article, we’ll answer all these questions and more.
What is Fondant Frosting?
Fondant frosting is a type of sugar paste that is used to cover cakes and create decorative designs.
It is made from a mixture of sugar, water, and gelatin or agar-agar.
The mixture is heated and then kneaded until it becomes a smooth and pliable dough.
Fondant can be flavored and colored, which makes it perfect for creating custom designs.
What does Fondant Frosting do in Baking?
Fondant frosting is a type of cake decoration that is made from sugar, corn syrup, and gelatin. It is used to cover cakes and create intricate designs and shapes that are not possible with traditional buttercream frosting.
Fondant is often used in professional baking to create elaborate wedding cakes and other special occasion cakes. It is also commonly used in cake decorating competitions and shows.
One of the benefits of using fondant frosting is that it creates a smooth and polished look on cakes. It can be rolled out thinly and draped over a cake, creating a seamless finish that looks almost like porcelain.
This allows bakers to create intricate designs and patterns, such as flowers, ribbons, and other decorations that are difficult to achieve with traditional frosting.
Fondant frosting is also great for creating 3D decorations, such as figurines or sculpted designs. Because fondant can be molded and shaped easily, it is a versatile medium for creating a wide range of cake decorations.
In addition to its decorative uses, fondant frosting can also help to preserve the freshness of a cake.
It creates a barrier that helps to seal in moisture and prevent the cake from drying out. This can be especially helpful for cakes that need to be transported or stored for an extended period of time.
Types of Fondant
There are two main types of fondant: rolled fondant and poured fondant. Rolled fondant is the most common type of fondant and is used to cover cakes. It is rolled out and then placed over the cake.
Poured fondant is a liquid form of fondant that is poured over cakes or used to fill candies.
How to Make Fondant Frosting
Making fondant frosting at home is easy and requires only a few ingredients. Here’s how to do it:
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon gelatin
- 1/2 cup glucose syrup
- 1 teaspoon glycerin
- Food coloring and flavoring (optional)
- In a large bowl, sift the powdered sugar to remove any lumps.
- In a separate bowl, mix the water and gelatin together and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, heat the glucose syrup until it becomes liquid.
- Add the gelatin mixture and glycerin to the glucose syrup and stir until everything is combined.
- Pour the liquid mixture into the bowl with the powdered sugar and mix until everything is combined.
- Knead the mixture until it becomes a smooth and pliable dough.
- If desired, add food coloring and flavoring and knead until the color and flavor are evenly distributed.
Using Fondant Frosting
Now that you have your fondant frosting, it’s time to use it to decorate your cake. Here are some tips for using fondant frosting:
Covering a Cake with Fondant
- Make sure your cake is cool and level.
- Roll out the fondant on a surface dusted with powdered sugar or cornstarch until it’s large enough to cover your cake.
- Carefully lift the fondant and place it over your cake.
- Smooth out any wrinkles or air bubbles with your hands or a fondant smoother.
- Trim off any excess fondant with a sharp knife.
Creating Decorative Designs with Fondant
Fondant can be used to create all sorts of decorative designs, from flowers and ribbons to cartoon characters and animals. Here are some tips for creating designs with fondant:
- Roll out the fondant and use cookie cutters or fondant cutters to create shapes.
- Use a fondant mold to create three-dimensional shapes.
- Use a fondant extruder to create long, thin shapes like ropes or spaghetti.
- Use edible paint or food markers to add details and accents to your designs.
Tips for Working with Fondant Frosting
Working with fondant frosting can be tricky, but with a little practice, you’ll become a pro. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Keep your workspace clean and free of excess powdered sugar or cornstarch.
- Use a non-stick rolling pin and rolling mat to prevent the fondant from sticking.
- If the fondant becomes too soft or sticky, let it chill in the refrigerator for a few minutes before continuing.
- Use a sharp knife or fondant cutter to create clean edges and shapes.
- Practice makes perfect – don’t be discouraged if your first attempts don’t turn out perfectly.
What is the Difference between Frosting And Fondant Icing?
When it comes to decorating cakes, there are two main types of icing: frosting and fondant. Both have their own unique properties that make them ideal for different kinds of cake designs. So, what is the difference between frosting and fondant icing?
Frosting is a type of icing made from sugar, butter, eggs, and flavoring. It is typically creamy and thick, making it perfect for spreading on cakes or cupcakes. Frosting can be flavored with extracts or fruit purees to create endless flavor possibilities.
It can also be colored with food coloring to create vibrant hues. Fondant is a type of icing made from sugar, water, gelatin, and glycerin. It has a smooth, elastic texture that makes it easy to work with.
Fondant can be rolled out into thin sheets and used to cover cakes or sculpt decorations. It can also be flavored with extracts or fruit purees for added flavor dimension. Fondant is typically left white or tinted lightly with food coloring so as not to overpower the cake’s flavor or design.
Is Fondant Good to Eat?
Fondant is a type of sugar paste that is often used to decorate cakes and other desserts. It can be made from scratch or bought pre-made in a variety of colors. Fondant is usually rolled out into a thin sheet and then draped over the cake, smoothed out, and decorated as desired.
It can also be used to make flowers, figurines, and other decorations. So, is fondant good to eat? The answer is yes…and no.
While the sugar paste itself is perfectly safe to consume, many people find the taste and texture of fondant to be unpleasant.
Additionally, because fondant is often used to cover less-than-appetizing things like cake straws or dental floss (used to secure the bottom layer of fondant to the cake), it can pick up unwanted flavors from these items. If you do decide to eat fondant, make sure it’s fresh and clean first!
Yes, fondant frosting can be flavored using extracts or other flavorings.
Fondant-covered cakes can last up to 5 days if stored properly in a cool, dry place.
Yes, fondant frosting can be used to decorate cupcakes as well as cakes.
Yes, you can substitute agar-agar for gelatin to make a vegetarian-friendly version of fondant frosting.
Fondant frosting is a versatile and delicious way to decorate cakes and create stunning designs.
With a little practice and some creativity, you can use fondant to create cakes that are both beautiful and tasty.
Whether you’re a professional baker or a home cook, fondant frosting is a great tool to have in your baking arsenal.