The Almond Poppy Seed Cake, known for its soft, light, and fluffy texture that stays moist for days, has been a classic recipe loved by many for years. The prominent flavor of almond extract and the crunch of poppy seeds make this cake irresistible.
Whether you are a fan of dense, buttery cakes or fluffy cakes, this versatile recipe is worth trying. You can easily customize it to your liking by adding finely chopped almonds to the cake batter or spreading some sweet almond pastry filling between the layers.
Key Almond Poppy Seed Cake Ingredients & Why
Granulated Sugar sweetens the cake.
Poppy Seeds add a nutty flavor and crunch.
Baking Powder helps the cake rise with air pockets.
Salt enhances cake flavor.
All-Purpose Flour provides cake structure.
Almond Extract imparts almond flavor.
Pitted Dates sweeten naturally.
Unsweetened Nondairy Milk
Unsweetened Nondairy Milk substitutes for dairy.
Confectioners’ Sugar makes cake frosting.
Lemon Juice or Milk
Lemon Juice or Milk thins frosting and adds flavor.
Sliced Almonds garnish some recipes.
How Do You Make The Best Almond Poppy Seed Cake?
- Quick and easy prep: Preheat to 350°F, grease, and line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mix these ingredients together until they are blended seamlessly.
- Begin by creaming butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes at medium speed). Then, add eggs, sour cream, and almond extract for a well-mixed batter.
- Blend harmoniously: Add dry ingredients and milk alternately to the wet mixture, and keep folding and scraping until dry streaks vanish.
- Evenly spread batter in the pan and generously top with sliced almonds.
- Bake in the middle rack for 50-65 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Then, cool in the pan for 10-20 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool further.
- Easily make the glaze by mixing powdered sugar, almond extract, poppy seeds, and milk until smooth. Then, drizzle it over the cooled cake, slice, and enjoy every delectable bite!
Pro Tips For Making Almond Poppy Seed Cake Recipe
- Combine dry ingredients: In a large bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; whisk in poppy seeds.
- Mix liquid ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, oil, almond extract, and milk; pour into dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Prep pans: Preheat oven to 350°F and grease three 8-inch cake pans with non-stick spray.
- Bake: Divide batter evenly among pans; bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Whip up frosting: While cakes cool, beat butter, powdered sugar, almond extract, and milk until fluffy.
- Assemble: Once cakes are cool, spread frosting between layers and on top.
- Add texture: Sprinkle sliced almonds on frosting for extra crunch.
- Get creative: Experiment with recipe variations, like making a sheet cake instead of layers.
How to Store Almond Poppy Seed Cake
- Keep the cake airtight.
- Store it at room temperature.
- Unfrosted cake lasts 3-5 days.
- Glazed cake lasts 1-2 days.
- Freeze the cake for 1 month.
- Wrap each layer individually if freezing, and store for 3-6 months before frosting.
- Freeze a fully assembled, frosted cake airtight for 3 months.
- Slice and freeze cake in sandwich bags for 1 month.
Can You Freeze Almond Poppy Seed Cake ?
- Cool the cake thoroughly.
- Slice the un-iced cake.
- Individually wrap each slice with plastic.
- Store wrapped slices in an airtight container or freezer bag.
- Label with date and contents.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
Frequently Asked Questions About Almond Poppy Seed Cake
What does almond poppy seed cake taste like?
Almond poppy seed cake boasts a delightful nuttiness, complemented by the sweetness and moisture.
How do I make almond poppy seed cake?
Almond poppy seed cake: Follow online recipes mixing flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs, milk, almond extract, and poppy seeds. Bake until golden.
What should I use if I don’t have cake flour?
Easily make cake flour substitute: Combine 1 cup all-purpose flour (minus 2 tbsp) with 2 tbsp cornstarch for every cup of cake flour needed.
Can I add almond pastry filling to my almond poppy seed cake?
Yes, you can enhance your almond poppy seed cake with almond pastry filling. To ensure the perfect balance of flavors, apply a thin layer between the cake layers, considering the sweetness of the filling.
Almond Poppy Seed Cake
- 2 cups all-purpose flour weighed in grams or spooned and leveled
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ tablespoons poppy seeds
- ¾ cup unsalted butter room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- ½ cup sour cream room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- ⅓ cup whole milk room temperature
- ¼ cup sliced almonds optional, for topping
- To prepare, preheat the oven to 350°F and then grease and line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds in a medium bowl for a seamless blend.
- Begin by creaming the butter and sugar in a large bowl until they achieve a light and fluffy consistency, which should take approximately 2-3 minutes on medium speed. Next, thoroughly incorporate the eggs, sour cream, and almond extract.
- Create a harmonious blend by alternating between adding dry ingredients and milk into the wet mixture. Remember to fold and scrape the sides of the bowl until the dry streaks are no longer visible.
- Smoothly spread the batter in the pan and generously sprinkle it with sliced almonds.
- Place it on the middle rack and bake for 50-65 minutes, or until a toothpick emerges clean. Afterward, allow it to cool in the pan for 10-20 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack for further cooling.
- To prepare the glaze, simply blend powdered sugar, almond extract, poppy seeds, and milk until smooth. Then, drizzle this delightful mixture over the cooled cake, slice, and relish every bite!