The Almond Cranberry Cake Recipe is a delightful and moist cake that’s ideal for fall. Loaded with almond chunks and cranberries, it boasts a subtly spiced flavor. It’s a simple cake to whip up and can be savored as a snack or dessert.
There are many variations of this cake, some topped with cream cheese frosting, while others are dusted with powdered sugar. Whether you’re a fan of frosting or prefer a simpler cake, there’s an apple walnut cake recipe out there for you.
Key Almond Cranberry Cake Ingredients & Why
The cake batter’s base in most recipes.
Adds sweetness to the batter.
Creates moisture and forms the batter.
Bind and structure the batter.
Imparts a unique almond flavor.
Essential for a tart, fruity twist in almond cranberry cake.
Add nutty goodness, either as a topping or within the batter for crunch.
How Do You Make The Best Almond Cranberry Cake?
- Preheat to 350°F and mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl.
- Cream 6 tbsp butter and ⅔ cup sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and almond extract. Mix, scraping the bowl as needed for thorough blending.
- To streamline the process, start by adding half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat until combined. Follow this by mixing in the sour cream and 2 tablespoons of milk. Add the remaining dry ingredients and, lastly, gently fold in the cranberries with a rubber spatula for a well-rounded batter.
- Grease a 9×9 square or 8×11 rectangle baking pan, pour in the batter, and then quickly prepare the topping.
- Mix butter, sugar, flour, and almond extract. Mash with a fork, add almonds, and combine. Sprinkle on cake batter, bake 30-40 mins (start checking at 30), and cool on a wire rack.
- Mix icing ingredients, modify thickness with extra powdered sugar or milk, and skillfully drizzle it onto the cake.
Pro Tips For Making Almond Cranberry Cake Recipe
- Ensure all ingredients are at room temperature before starting for a smoother batter.
- Cream the butter and sugar for at least 5 minutes to achieve a light, fluffy cake texture.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing thoroughly after each addition for even incorporation.
- Gently mix in the flour until just combined; avoid overmixing to maintain cake tenderness.
- Fold cranberries in gently to prevent them from sinking to the cake’s bottom.
- Preheat the oven to the correct temperature before baking and monitor the cake to prevent overcooking.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for a minimum of 10 minutes after baking to prevent breakage.
- Keep the cake fresh by storing it in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or freeze it for up to 3 months.
How to Store Almond Cranberry Cake
- For cakes to be eaten within 3 days, keep them covered at room temperature.
- To store your cake longer, refrigerate it. Wrap it tightly in plastic or foil, and use an airtight container. It stays fresh in the fridge for 5-7 days.
- For extended storage of leftover cake, freeze it. Double-wrap cake slices and freeze for up to 3 months. Simply thaw for a sweet treat anytime.
Can You Freeze Almond Cranberry Cake?
According to Celebrating Sweets, My Sweet Precision, Budget Bytes, FeelGoodFoodie, and Seasons and Suppers, you can freeze almond cranberry cake for up to 3 months. To do so, double-wrap the slices, place them in an airtight container or freezer bag, and thaw before enjoying. Remember not to defrost cranberries before adding them to the batter.
Frequently Asked Questions About Almond Cranberry Cake
What is almond cranberry cake?
Craft your delightful almond cranberry cake using almond flour, cranberries, and optional flavorings like orange zest or cinnamon.
Can I make almond cranberry cake ahead of time?
Enhance the flavor of your almond cranberry cake by preparing it in advance. Many recipes suggest making it a day ahead to let the flavors blend. After cooling, simply wrap it tightly in plastic or store it in an airtight container. You can keep it at room temperature for up to 3 days or refrigerate it for a week.
Can I freeze almond cranberry cake?
After cooling, freeze your almond cranberry cake by wrapping it tightly in plastic and then aluminum foil or a freezer-safe bag. You can store it this way for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy it again, simply remove it from the freezer and allow it to thaw to room temperature before serving.
Almond Cranberry Cake Recipe
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ teaspoons almond extract
- ⅔ cup sour cream, thick sour cream is best
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 scant cups fresh cranberries
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon almond extract
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons milk
- drop almond extract
- Start by preheating the oven to 350°F. Then, in a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Begin by beating 6 tablespoons of butter and ⅔ cup of sugar using a hand mixer or stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Continue until it's creamy and thoroughly combined. Then, add eggs, vanilla, and almond extract, and mix until well combined, remembering to scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Begin by adding half of the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and beat until they are well combined. Next, incorporate the sour cream and 2 tablespoons of milk into the mixture, making sure everything is thoroughly mixed. Then, introduce the remaining dry ingredients and, finally, gently fold in the cranberries using a rubber spatula.
- Prepare the baking pan by greasing either a 9×9 square or an 8×11 rectangle. Next, pour the batter into the pan and ensure a smooth top. Lastly, make the topping.
- Combine butter, sugar, flour, and almond extract. Use a fork to blend the butter into the dry mix. Then, add the sliced almonds and thoroughly incorporate them. Sprinkle this topping evenly over the cake batter. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes (start checking at the 30-minute mark) or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean. Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack.
- Combine all icing ingredients, adjusting consistency with additional powdered sugar or milk as required, then elegantly drizzle the mixture atop the cake.