A cake flavored with melted chocolate, cocoa powder, or both is known as a triple chocolate cake or chocolate gâteau.
Triple Chocolate Layer Cake Recipe
Three distinct chocolate flavors are buried behind delectable vanilla marshmallow buttercream in this fascinating chocolate cake. The design is simple but effective.
For the Cakes
- 6 ½oz 180 g softened butter
- 6 ½oz 180 g caster sugar
- 3 pic eggs
- 5 pic tablespoon milk
- 6 ½oz 180 g plain (all purpose) flour (sifted)
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2oz 50 g white chocolate – finely chopped
- 2oz 50 g milk chocolate – finely chopped
- 2oz 50 g dark chocolate – finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ tablespoon Ovaltine (chocolate malt powder)
- 1 ½ tablespoon cocoa powder
For the buttercream
- 4 ½oz 125 g softened butter
- 9oz 250 g icing (confectioner’s) sugar
- 4 ½oz 125 g cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 150 g vanilla Marshmallow Fluff
Bake the cakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. GM3/ 170°/ 325°F
- lubricate and line 3 x 6-inch circular baking tins (note that they are smaller than standard tins; if using 8-inch tins, see my instructions on scaling up the recipe)
- In separate bowls, melt the three varieties of chocolate. Set aside some time
- Using electric beaters, whip the butter and sugar till light and fluffy in a mixing basin. One at a time, add the eggs, beating well after each addition.
- Continue to beat in 3 tablespoons of milk. Sift the flour and baking powder into the mixing bowl and well combine.
- Into three small mixing dishes, divide the cake batter evenly.
- To make the White Chocolate & Vanilla Sponge, take a tablespoon of the cake batter from the first mixing bowl and immediately stir it into the melted white chocolate. Gently stir the white chocolate mixture and vanilla extract back into the remaining cake batter in the mixing bowl. When the chocolate is stirred into the cake mixture, this double-action prevents it from seizing. Spread the batter out with a blunt knife in one of the baking tins.
- Pour an extra tablespoon of milk and the Ovaltine powder into the second bowl of cake batter for the Malted Milk Chocolate Sponge. Take a tablespoon of the cake batter from this bowl and immediately whisk it into the melted milk chocolate. After that, fold the chocolate mixture back into the cake batter. Pour the batter into the remaining baking tins and spread it out evenly.
- Pour an extra tablespoon of milk and the cocoa powder (sifted) into the remaining bowl of cake batter for the Dark Chocolate Sponge. Mix a tablespoon of the cake batter into the melted dark chocolate, then fold it back into the remainder of the recipe. Fill the last of the baking tins with the batter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched or a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Allow for 2 minutes of cooling time in the tins before removing from the pans, peeling off the baking parchment from the bottom of each sponge cake, and cooling entirely on a wire rack.
Make the Marshmallow buttercream
- In a large mixing basin, cream together the icing sugar, butter, and vanilla paste until smooth.
- Mix in the cream cheese until it's completely smooth, then add the marshmallow fluff.
Assemble the cake
- Place a heaped tablespoon of frosting on top of the white chocolate sponge cake on a board, then carefully place the malted milk chocolate cake on top of the icing layer.
- Spread another dollop of frosting on top, then add the dark chocolate cake layer.
- After the last layer of cake has been added, use a palette knife to delicately spread a thin coating of icing all over the top and edges of the cake. I find that sprinkling a thin layer of frosting all over the cake helps to seal in the crumbs. After that, use the leftover icing to make a thicker layer that completely covers the cake.
- Carefully transfer the cake to a serving plate and, if necessary, touch up the icing. If you like, you can add a pattern when you're satisfied. To give the icing a rough appearance, I used the back of a dessert spoon to elevate it in areas.
- If desired, garnish with crushed or chopped chocolate.
- Saturated Fat:22g
- Vitamin A:1014IU
- Vitamin C:1mg
In this recipe for triple chocolate layer cake, chocolate cake gets an interesting makeover with three distinct chocolate flavors buried behind exquisite vanilla marshmallow fluff buttercream. It’s a straightforward but effective idea.