Lemon Cake Recipe
It's difficult not to demolish this classic lemon drizzle in just one sitting, so why not make two at once?
- 225 g unsalted butter, softened
- 225 g caster sugar
- 4 pic eggs
- 225 g self-raising flour
- 1 pic lemon, zested
For the drizzle topping
- 1½ pic lemons, juiced
- 85 g caster sugar
- Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Beat together the butter and caster sugar until pale and creamy, then add the eggs, one at a time, slowly mixing through.
- Sift in the self-raising flour, then add the lemon zest and mix until well combined.
- Line a loaf tin (8 x 21cm) with greaseproof paper, then spoon in the mixture and level the top with a spoon.
- While the cake is cooling in its tin, mix together the lemon juice and caster sugar to make the drizzle.
- Prick the warm cake all over with a skewer or fork, then pour over the drizzle – the juice will sink in and the sugar will form a lovely, crisp topping.
- Leave in the tin until completely cool, then remove and serve. Will keep in an airtight container for 3-4 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.
- fat 21g
- saturates 13g
- carbs 50g
- sugars 33g
- fibre 1g
- protein 5g
- low in salt 0.3g