Layer cake Recipe
This vanilla cake recipe is made in one bowl, and is super moist! One batch makes 3, 8-inch cake layers, and is frosted with vanilla buttercream frosting.
- 3 cup all-purpose flour (375g)
- 3 cup granulated sugar (600g)
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder (10g)
- 1 tsp salt (6g)
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temp (226g)
- 1 cup egg whites from a carton or about 7 egg whites, room temp (235g)
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, room temp (360g)
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil (30g)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract (8g)
- gel food coloring - if desired
Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
- 2 cups unsalted butter, room temp (452g)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste (12g)
- 1/2 tsp salt (3g)
- 7 cup powdered sugar (875g)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream or whipping cream (60g)
Vanilla Cake Layers:
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C. Line four 7" or three 8" pans with parchment rounds, and grease with non-stick baking spray.
- Mix together 3 cups all purpose flour, 3 cups sugar, 2 1/2 tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or hand mixer until fully combined.
- Mix in 1 cup of room temperature, unsalted butter slowly into the dry ingredients on a low speed. Continue to mix until no large chunks of butter remain and the mixture looks like moist sand.
- Pour in 1 cup of egg whites and mix on low until just incorporated. Mix in 1 1/2 cups buttermilk in two installments, on a low speed.
- Add in 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil and 2 tsp of vanilla extract and mix at a low speed until fully incorporated.
- If you plan to color your cake layers, add in the gel food coloring with the vanilla and oil.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula, then beat on a medium speed for about 30 seconds to make sure everything is properly mixed together.
- Divide the batter evenly between your prepared pans. I like to use a scale to make sure each pan has the same amount of batter and will bake up to be the same height.
- Bake for 33-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs.
- Allow the pans to cool for 10 minutes, then run a small offset spatula around the perimeter of the pan to separate the cake from the pan.
- Saturated Fat 15g
- Trans Fat 0g
- Unsaturated Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 66mg
- Sodium 263mg
- Carbohydrates 70g
- Fiber 0g
- Sugar 57g