Lady Baltimore Cake Recipe
This cake is a real beauty covered with soft icing. You may substitute sherry for vanilla if you choose.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- 6 pic egg whites
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 pic recipe Lady Baltimore Frosting
- ½ cup raisins, coarsely chopped
- ⅓ cup chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup chopped candied cherries
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9 inch round layer pans.
- In a large bowl, cream butter or margarine, 1 1/4 cups sugar and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla together well. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Stir flour, baking powder, and salt together in another bowl. Add flour mixture to butter mixture in 3 parts alternating with milk in 2 parts, beginning and ending with flour.
- Using clean beaters, beat egg whites in mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually while beating until stiff. Fold whipped egg whites into batter. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean. Cool.
- To Make Filling: Stir 2 cups Lady Baltimore Frosting, raisins, nuts, cherries, and 2 teaspoons vanilla or sherry all together. Use as filling to spread between layers. Spread remaining frosting on tops and sides of cake.
- protein 6.4g
- carbohydrates 63.4g
- fat 18.5g
- cholesterol 42.3mg
- sodium 368.2mg