Kolach (Ukrainian Christmas Bread) Cake Recipe
This recipe for Ukrainian Christmas bread or kolach is a slightly sweet yeast bread that is braided and shaped into either an oblong loaf, a round braided loaf, or three separate round braids stacked one on top of the other.In the case of a stacked kolach, a candle is placed in the middle and is an essential part of the Christmas Eve supper (Sviata Vechera). The bread isn't eaten until Christmas Day because it contains eggs and Orthodox Christians fast for Advent, including Christmas Eve.Kolach is a symbol of good luck, eternity, prosperity, and also is featured at memorial services for the dead.
For the Yeast:
- 1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- 3 pic large eggs, at room temperature
For the Dough:
- 2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoon oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 pic egg yolk beaten with 1 teaspoon water, for the glaze
- Gather the ingredients.
- Prepare the yeast mixture. In a small bowl, mix together the yeast, sugar and lukewarm water. Let stand 15 minutes or until bubbly.
- Make the dough. In a large bowl or a stand mixer, beat the eggs until thick. Beat in the yeast mixture, sugar, oil, and salt.
- Then add the 1/2 cup lukewarm water and mix until fully incorporated.
- Add 2 cups of the flour and mix well. Add remaining 2 cups of flour and knead until dough is smooth and blistered.
- Place dough in a greased bowl. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise 1 hour or until doubled.
- Punch down dough and let rise again until doubled. Knead by hand a few times and then turn out onto a lightly floured board
- Divide the dough into three equal pieces and braid. Shape into an oblong loaf and place on a parchment-lined baking pan. Or shape into a circle, joining the ends, and place in a greased 10-inch tube pan.
- Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until almost doubled.
- Heat oven to 350 F. Bake 50 to 60 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer registers 180 F.
- Brush bread with 1 egg yolk beaten with 1 teaspoon water the last 5 minutes of baking or until an instant-read thermometer registers 190 degrees.
- Remove from oven and turn out of pans to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Enjoy as a lightly sweet dessert with tea or coffee after a meal or with butter for breakfast.
- 7g Fat
- 52g Carbs
- 10g Protein