Oatmeal cake is a delicious and hearty dessert that combines the goodness of oats with the sweetness of cake. It’s a popular treat among those who enjoy the wholesome flavor and texture of oats. If you find yourself with leftover oatmeal cake or want to make a batch in advance, you may wonder if it’s possible to freeze it.
What is Oatmeal Cake?
Oatmeal cake often features a creamy frosting or glaze, adding a touch of sweetness to the dessert. The combination of oats and other ingredients gives oatmeal cake a unique texture and a rich, comforting taste.
Ingredients for Oatmeal Cake
To make a delicious oatmeal cake, you will need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 ¼ cups boiling water
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
These ingredients can be easily found in most kitchens or local grocery stores.
Baking Oatmeal Cake
Before we discuss freezing oatmeal cake, let’s quickly go over the baking process. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to bake a scrumptious oatmeal cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and grease a baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the rolled oats and boiling water. Let it sit for about 20 minutes until the oats are soft and have absorbed the water.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, ensuring they are fully incorporated into the mixture.
- In another bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and salt.
- Gradually add the dry ingredient mixture to the butter-sugar mixture, alternating with the oatmeal mixture. Mix until well combined.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the batter into the greased baking dish and spread it evenly.
- Bake for approximately 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once baked, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool completely before proceeding to freeze it.
Freezing Oatmeal Cake
Yes, you can freeze oatmeal cake! Freezing is a convenient way to extend the shelf life of your baked goods and enjoy them at a later time. Here’s how you can freeze oatmeal cake:
- Ensure that the oatmeal cake has completely cooled down.
- Cut the cake into individual portions or leave it whole, depending on your preference.
- Wrap each piece tightly with plastic wrap, ensuring there are no exposed areas.
- Place the wrapped cake portions in a freezer-safe container or airtight freezer bags. Seal them properly to prevent freezer burn and maintain freshness.
- Label the container or bags with the date of freezing for easy reference.
Thawing and Reheating Oatmeal Cake
When you’re ready to enjoy the frozen oatmeal cake, follow these steps to thaw and reheat it:
- Remove the desired number of cake portions from the freezer and unwrap them.
- Place the unwrapped cake on a plate or tray and let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
- Once thawed, you can serve the oatmeal cake as is or reheat it for a warm treat.
- To reheat, preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Place the thawed cake portions on a baking sheet and warm them in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until heated through.
- Alternatively, you can heat individual portions in the microwave for 20-30 seconds until warm.
Tips for Freezing Oatmeal Cake
To ensure the best quality and taste of your frozen oatmeal cake, consider the following tips:
- Use high-quality airtight containers or freezer bags to prevent freezer burn.
- Remove as much air as possible from the packaging to minimize the risk of freezer burn and maintain freshness.
- Label the containers or bags with the name of the cake and the date of freezing.
- Consume the frozen oatmeal cake within 3 months for optimal flavor.
- If freezing frosted oatmeal cake, it’s best to freeze it without the frosting. Add the frosting after thawing and reheating for a fresher taste.
Yes, you can freeze oatmeal cake with cream cheese frosting. It’s best to freeze the cake without the frosting and add it after thawing and reheating for the best taste and texture.
You can store frozen oatmeal cake for up to 3 months. Beyond that, the quality and taste may start to deteriorate.
Yes, you can freeze oatmeal cake in slices. Wrap each slice individually with plastic wrap before placing them in a freezer-safe container or bag.
It’s not recommended to freeze oatmeal cake batter. Freezing the baked cake provides better results in terms of taste and texture.
It’s best to thaw frozen oatmeal cake in the refrigerator to ensure a safe thawing process and maintain the quality of the cake.
Oatmeal cake is a delightful dessert that can be easily frozen for future enjoyment. By following the simple steps outlined above, you can ensure that your oatmeal cake remains delicious and moist even after freezing.
Remember to use proper packaging and labeling techniques to maintain the quality of the cake.
So, the next time you have leftover oatmeal cake or want to prepare it in advance, feel free to freeze it and enjoy a slice whenever you crave its delectable flavors.