The Biscuit Cake Recipe is a simple and delicious dessert, perfect for any occasion. To make it, layer biscuits (or cookies) with chocolate sauce and let it set in the fridge. This recipe offers a rich and indulgent cake, satisfying any sweet tooth. You can even explore various variations, from classic chocolate to festive ones with cranberries, pistachios, and ginger.
This dessert is also versatile and can be made with different types of biscuits and flavors. Whether you are looking for a quick and easy dessert or a show-stopping cake for a special occasion, biscuit cake is a great choice. In this article, we will explore different recipes and tips for making the perfect biscuit cake.
Key Biscuit Cake Ingredients & Why
Opt for high-quality chocolate with at least 53% cocoa for a rich cake.
Typically, unsalted butter is used, though salted butter works too; it should be softened and chopped into small chunks.
Sweeten the cake with granulated or golden caster sugar.
While Rich Tea biscuits are traditional, you can use other thin biscuits like LU Petit Beurre, Marie, or Rich Tea finger biscuits for the Queen’s Chocolate Biscuit Cake. They absorb the chocolate syrup well.
Use heavy whipping cream or double cream in some recipes for a luscious chocolate ganache topping.
Hazelnuts or other nuts
Consider adding toasted nuts like hazelnuts, walnuts, or almonds to the cake batter (optional).
Enhance the chocolate sauce with instant coffee for a richer flavor (optional).
Some recipes use cocoa powder for the chocolate sauce.
Add corn syrup or golden syrup to the chocolate sauce for a glossy finish (optional).
Incorporate milk into some recipes for the chocolate sauce.
How Do You Make The Best Biscuit Cake?
- Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper, and lightly butter the base while sprinkling a pinch of flaky sea salt for added flavor.
- To melt, set a large mixing bowl above simmering water, ensuring it doesn’t touch the water. Combine butter, chocolate, and caramel condensed milk, occasionally stirring. Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes.
- For a delicious dessert, break biscuits into 6-8 pieces, mix them into the chocolate blend, and stir in the Rolos. Place the mixture in the tin, press and level it with a spoon or spatula, and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours before slicing for serving.
Pro Tips For Making Biscuit Cake Recipe
- Use a cake pan with a removable bottom or line your cake tray with foil or parchment paper for easy biscuit cake removal.
- Prepare the cake in advance for convenient serving when guests drop by for tea or dessert. You can make it a day or two beforehand, eliminating last-minute sweet cravings.
- For a chocolate biscuit cake, combine sugar, cocoa, and milk in a pan. Whisk until smooth, dissolving any cocoa lumps. Optionally, add butter and simmer, stirring until a thick syrup forms.
- Enhance the cake’s flavor with nuts; toasted hazelnuts work splendidly.
- Evenly press the broken biscuits into a parchment-lined springform pan. Chill for 30 minutes to set the cake.
- Create a delectable glaze by mixing chopped chocolate and corn syrup in a bowl. In a saucepan over medium heat, combine heavy cream and sugar, dissolving the sugar until the mixture is hot. Pour over the chocolate, blend until smooth, and refrigerate for 4 hours or, ideally, overnight.
- Add your personal touch to the cake by decorating with chocolate balls or any desired design.
Can You Freeze Biscuit Cake?
To freeze biscuit cake, follow these steps: First, wrap it in parchment paper, cling film, and foil. If you’re freezing individual slices, be sure to wrap each slice tightly and store them in an airtight container or freezer bag. The cake can be kept in the freezer for up to three months. When it’s time to enjoy it, simply let it thaw in the fridge overnight.
Frequently Asked Questions About Biscuit Cake
How do I store biscuit cake?
Store your biscuit cake in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days or in the refrigerator for a week.
Can I make biscuit cake without an oven?
To craft a delectable oven-free biscuit cake, follow these steps: prepare the batter as per the recipe, grease a pan with butter or oil, sprinkle with flour, pour the batter, and place it in the pressure cooker. Cook on low heat for 30-35 minutes, remove from the cooker, cool, slice, and serve.
What are some other types of biscuit cake?
Alongside the chocolate biscuit cake, there’s Pan di Spagna, a unique fat-free sponge cake also known as Biscuit Sponge or Italian Sponge Cake.
Biscuit Cake Recipe
- 200g unsalted butter, diced, plus a little for the tin
- 250g dark chocolate, chopped
- 150g milk chocolate, chopped
- 150g caramel condensed milk
- 250g malted milk biscuits
- 150g Rolo chocolates
- Prepare a 2lb loaf tin by greasing it and lining it with baking paper. Then, coat the base with a thin layer of butter and add a pinch of flaky sea salt for extra flavor.
- Position a sizable mixing bowl above a gently simmering water pan, ensuring the bowl doesn't touch the water. Add butter, chocolate, and caramel condensed milk. Heat while stirring intermittently until everything is melted. Afterward, take it off the heat and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- To create this delectable treat, start by breaking each biscuit into 6-8 pieces and adding them to the chocolate mixture. Ensure thorough coating of each biscuit piece, then introduce the Rolos. Next, transfer the mixture to the prepared tin, pressing it down and leveling it with the back of a spoon or spatula to fill the tin. Allow it to chill for at least 3 hours before slicing for serving.