Looking for a delicious and healthy dessert? Try avocado chocolate cake! This unique recipe uses avocado for moisture and healthy fats, resulting in a rich, fudgy cake.
Plus, you can’t even taste the avocado! Whether you’re gluten-free, vegan, or seeking a healthier dessert, there’s an avocado chocolate cake recipe for you. Check out some below to get started!
Key Avocado Chocolate Cake Ingredients & Why
Avocado enhances moisture and reduces fat in chocolate cake recipes while providing a creamy texture.
Cocoa Powder imparts the cake’s chocolate flavor.
Flour forms the foundational structure of the cake.
Eggs bind the ingredients and provide structural integrity.
Baking Powder and Baking Soda act as leavening agents, aiding the cake’s rise.
Salt elevates the cake’s flavor.
Sugar sweetens the cake.
Vanilla Extract adds a delightful flavor.
Almond Milk serves as a dairy-free milk alternative.
Coconut Cream offers a dairy-free substitute for heavy cream.
Coconut Sugar serves as a natural sweetener.
How Do You Make The Best Avocado Chocolate Cake?
- Make chia eggs: Mix 2 tbsp chia seeds with 1/4 cup (60 ml) water in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Preheat oven to 360°F (180°C). Line and grease a 7-inch (18 cm) springform.
- Blend avocado, coconut milk, and vanilla extract in a food processor. Add the chia egg mixture, pulse three times for a flawless blend.
- Carefully blend wet and dry ingredients with a spatula until just combined; do not overmix.
- Pour cake batter into the springform and bake for 35 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool, then consider adding a delicious chocolate ganache if desired.
- Mix chocolate and nut butter in a bowl, melt over hot water, then pour onto the cake and chill for 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!
Pro Tips For Making Avocado Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Opt for ripe avocados for the best cake texture and flavor.
- Blend the avocado until silky smooth to eliminate batter lumps.
- Avoid overmixing to maintain a tender cake texture.
- Allow the cake to cool completely to prevent frosting melting.
- Explore various frostings – chocolate, cream cheese, or a light dusting of sugar.
- Prioritize high-quality ingredients for exceptional flavor.
- Enjoy the creative process! Impress loved ones with this unique, delightful avocado chocolate cake – personalize with flavors and decorations.
How to Store Avocado Chocolate Cake
- Store avocado chocolate cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Freeze for 2 months if needed. Allow frosted cake to cool completely before refrigerating.
- For optimal avocado chocolate cake storage, use an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days or freeze it for up to 2 months. If frosting is present, ensure it cools completely before refrigeration. Wrap the cake in foil or plastic wrap and then place it in a freezer bag for freezing. Shelf life in the fridge is approximately 3 days.
- Keep avocado chocolate cake fresh: Use an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Ensure frosted cake cools before refrigerating. For freezing, wrap it in foil or plastic wrap, then place in a freezer bag. Shelf life in the fridge: around 3 days.
Can You Freeze Avocado Chocolate Cake?
- Freeze avocado chocolate cake for up to 3 months by storing slices in a sealed container in the freezer for 6 months or in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days.
- You can freeze avocado chocolate cake for extended freshness. To do so, store cake slices in a sealed container in the freezer for up to 3 months or keep it in the fridge for 5 days in an airtight container.
- Extend the freshness of your avocado chocolate cake by freezing it for up to 3 months. Simply store slices in the freezer for 6 months or keep them in the fridge for 5 days in an airtight container.
Frequently Asked Questions About Avocado Chocolate Cake
Does avocado chocolate cake taste like avocado?
Avocado chocolate cake doesn’t taste like avocado.
What does avocado do in chocolate cake?
Avocado serves to add moisture to the cake, much like banana, applesauce, or pumpkin in recipes. The chocolate effectively masks the avocado’s taste, while providing you with a dose of healthy fats.
Can I use an electric mixer to make avocado chocolate cake?
Yes, you can use an electric mixer for avocado chocolate cake.
Is avocado chocolate cake healthy?
Avocado chocolate cake can be a healthier alternative to most chocolate cakes due to its use of avocado instead of butter or oil, providing a wealth of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Avocado Chocolate Cake
- 1 1/2 cups (180 g) flour (I used GF - see notes)
- 5/8 cups (125 g) organic cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1.7 oz (50 g) vegan chocolate (I used unsweetened)
- 1/2 cup (40 g) cocoa powder (I used Dutch-processed, unsweetened)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground coffee (optional)
- Prepare chia eggs by combining 2 tbsp of ground chia seeds with 1/4 cup (60 ml) of water in a small bowl, then set the mixture aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C). Line the bottom of a 7-inch (18 cm) springform with parchment paper and lightly grease the interior.
- Smoothly blend the wet ingredients (avocado, coconut milk, vanilla extract) in a food processor. Then, introduce the chia egg mixture and pulse three times for a perfect fusion.
- Gently mix the wet ingredients into the dry ones using a spatula until just combined; avoid overmixing.
- Begin by pouring the cake batter into the springform and bake it in the oven for approximately 35 minutes, or until a toothpick emerges clean. After allowing it to cool, you can optionally prepare a delicious chocolate ganache.
- Combine chocolate and nut butter in a medium bowl, then set it over a saucepan of hot water. Stir occasionally until melted. Pour the ganache onto the chocolate cake and refrigerate for 25-30 minutes. Slice and indulge!