Are you seeking a scrumptious, simple-to-bake cake recipe that will please your sweet cravings? Well, the almond walnut streusel cake is the answer! It’s a delightful blend of tender, moist cake and a crispy, nutty streusel topping. Whether you prefer flourless Polish cakes or zesty lemon grain-free cakes, there’s an almond walnut streusel cake recipe to suit everyone’s taste.
Whether you want to enjoy a slice with your morning coffee or as a sweet treat any time of day, this cake is sure to please. So why not try making an almond walnut streusel cake today and indulge in its irresistible flavor?
Key Almond Walnut Streusel Cake Ingredients & Why
Almonds provide a nutty crunch and pack protein, fiber, and healthy fats.
Walnuts contribute a nutty texture and flavor while delivering essential omega-3 fatty acids for heart health.
Cinnamon imparts a warm, spicy taste and potential health benefits like reducing inflammation and aiding blood sugar control.
Sugar sweetens the cake but should be used sparingly to avoid weight gain and health issues.
How Do You Make The Best Almond Walnut Streusel Cake?
- Preheat to 350°F, butter the 9-inch springform pan, line with parchment paper, and pat 1/4 cup sliced almonds on the sides for an even coating.
- Achieve a smooth blend by processing cranberry sauce, cornstarch, and a pinch of kosher salt. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl, eliminating solids.
- Whisk flours, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt in a second small bowl.
- Mix 1 cup sugar, eggs, yolk, orange zest, almond extract, orange juice, and melted butter in a bowl. Gently whisk in the flour mixture until combined.
- Spread batter in the pan, add spoonfuls of cranberry mixture, top with 1/3 cup sliced almonds, and finish with a sprinkle of the remaining 2 tsp. of sugar.
- Bake 30-35 mins until golden and toothpick emerges clean. Cool in pan on wire rack, then use a knife to free it from the sides. Dust with powdered sugar before serving. Serves 8.
Pro Tips For Making Almond Walnut Streusel Cake Recipe
- Mix the flour into wet ingredients just until combined to avoid a dense crumb cake.
- Add vanilla extract to balance the eggy taste when using multiple eggs.
- Enhance walnut flavor and texture by roasting before chopping.
- Elevate your cake with sliced almonds, chopped pecans, or walnuts for a delightful crunch.
- Line the pan with parchment paper for easy cake removal.
- Elevate flavor with a sweet glaze: Combine ½ cup confectioners sugar and 1 tablespoon milk, then drizzle over cooled cake.
- Keep your cake fresh in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days.
How to Store Almond Walnut Streusel Cake
- Cool the cake completely before storing.
- Keep the cake fresh by wrapping it in foil or plastic.
- Store at room temp for 3 days or refrigerate for 6 days.
- To freeze, double-wrap in foil or plastic and store for 3 months.
Can You Freeze Almond Walnut Streusel Cake?
You can freeze almond walnut streusel cakes, such as almond streusel coffee cake and pear almond cake with streusel topping, as well as walnut and coffee cakes. To freeze, wrap in two layers of plastic and one of foil, storing for up to three months. Simply thaw at room temperature when you’re ready to savor the flavors.
Frequently Asked Questions About Almond Walnut Streusel Cake
What is almond walnut streusel cake?
Indulge in our Almond Walnut Streusel Cake, crafted with almond flour, walnuts, and a delectable streusel topping. Ideal for both breakfast and dessert, it promises a decadently satisfying experience.
What are the ingredients in almond walnut streusel cake?
Crafting almond walnut streusel cake? Gather almond flour, walnuts, sugar, butter, eggs, vanilla extract, baking powder, salt, and, for added flair, consider cinnamon or fruit in some recipes.
Is almond walnut streusel cake gluten-free?
Create gluten-free almond walnut streusel cake using almond flour as the main ingredient.
Can I use other types of nuts in almond walnut streusel cake?
Almond walnut streusel cake allows for flexibility in nut choices. You can opt for pecans, hazelnuts, or even a blend of different nuts as alternatives to walnuts.
Almond Walnut Streusel Cake Recipe
- ¼ cup plus 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup homemade or canned whole berry cranberry sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or tapioca flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plus 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 eggs plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 oranges (2 tsp. zest, 1/2 cup juice)
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 5 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350°F. Next, generously butter a 9-inch springform pan. Then, line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and make sure to butter the paper as well. Finally, evenly pat 1/4 cup of sliced almonds along the sides of the pan.
- To create a silky mixture, blend cranberry sauce, cornstarch, and a pinch of kosher salt in a food processor or blender. Then, strain the result through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl, discarding any solids.
- In a separate small bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Blend 1 cup sugar, eggs, yolk, orange zest, and almond extract in a large bowl. Incorporate orange juice and melted butter, then add the flour mixture. Whisk until well combined.
- Spread batter in pan, spoon cranberry mixture, top with 1/3 cup sliced almonds, and sprinkle 2 tsp. sugar.
- To achieve a golden brown finish and a clean toothpick test, bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Allow it to cool completely within the pan on a wire rack. Once cooled, use a small sharp knife to gently remove the sides of the pan. Finish it off by dusting the cake with powdered sugar before serving. This recipe serves 8.