Looking for a delightful dessert? Try the Almond Poppy Seed Lemon Cake recipe! It combines nutty and citrusy flavors in a moist, fluffy treat that’ll have you craving seconds.
Whether you’re looking for a simple and fail-proof recipe or a more elaborate one with raspberry frosting, there’s a recipe out there for you. From bundt cakes to loaves, this cake is versatile and perfect for any occasion. So why not brighten up your day with a slice of this delicious cake?
Key Almond Poppy Seed Lemon Cake Ingredients & Why
Popular in gluten-free recipes, almond flour adds nutty moisture to almond poppy seed lemon cakes. Some opt for blanched, superfine almond flour, while others use the regular variety.
These provide a slight crunch and nutty flavor, essential in classic lemon poppy seed cakes.
Key for its citrusy zest, lemon complements almond flour’s nuttiness and poppy seeds’ crunch. Some recipes use lemon juice and zest, while others prefer lemon cake mix.
Commonly used for binding and moisture in almond poppy seed lemon cakes.
This leavening agent ensures a light and fluffy rise.
Balances sweetness and enhances the cake’s flavor.
Oil or Butter
Adds and retains moisture for a longer-lasting cake.
Sweetens the cake, with options like icing sugar, honey, or maple syrup for natural sweetness.
Provides structure and rise; variations include coconut flour, oat flour, cake flour, or a mix of almond and regular flour.
How Do You Make The Best Almond Poppy Seed Lemon Cake?
For The Loaf
- Position the oven rack lower, preheat to 350°F/180°C, and prepare a loaf tin for later.
- Mix almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds in a big bowl until blended.
- Blend eggs, oil, honey, almond milk, lemon juice, and zest until a smooth, thick batter forms.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf tin, bake on lower oven rack for 45-50 mins until knife comes out clean.
For The Glaze
- Blend sugar and lemon juice in a bowl until smooth; adjust thickness with extra lemon juice if necessary.
- Cool the loaf, then place it on a rack with paper towels to catch glaze drips, and finally, drizzle the glaze on top.
Pro Tips For Making Almond Poppy Seed Lemon Cake Recipe
- Zest citrus before juicing; store in airtight container in fridge.
- Enhance cake with almond paste for a richer flavor.
- Adjust recipe for high-altitude baking success.
- Go gluten-free with almond and coconut flour blend.
- Sweeten naturally with honey or maple syrup, skip refined sugar.
- Elevate lemon flavor with powdered sugar lemon glaze.
- Transform classic cake with fresh raspberries.
How to Store Almond Poppy Seed Lemon Cake
- Cool the cake completely before storing.
- Wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to seal out air.
- Keep the wrapped cake in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag.
- Enjoy for up to 5-7 days.
Can You Freeze Almond Poppy Seed Lemon Cake?
Freeze almond poppy seed lemon cake for 3 months, sans glaze. After cooling, double-wrap in plastic and foil. To serve, thaw at room temp. Another option: freeze un-iced cake, cool, slice, wrap individually in plastic, and store in a freezer bag for up to 1 month.
Frequently Asked Questions About Almond Poppy Seed Lemon Cake
What is almond poppy seed lemon cake?
Indulge in almond poppy seed lemon cake – a delicious fusion of almonds, poppy seeds, and lemon, sweetened to perfection with honey or sugar. Made from almond flour, poppy seeds, lemon zest, and lemon juice, it may also feature a tempting lemon glaze or frosting.
How do you make almond poppy seed lemon cake?
Focus on Clarity: To make almond poppy seed lemon cake, you’ll typically blend dry ingredients like almond flour, poppy seeds, and baking powder with wet ingredients such as eggs, oil, and lemon juice. Afterward, pour the batter into a loaf pan and bake until it’s golden brown. Some recipes also include a tasty lemon glaze or frosting.
Is almond poppy seed lemon cake gluten-free?
Craft a gluten-free almond poppy seed lemon cake using almond and coconut flours, along with other celiac-friendly ingredients to cater to those with gluten sensitivities.
Can almond poppy seed lemon cake be made ahead of time?
Prep almond poppy seed lemon cake ahead, store airtight at room temp for 3 days, or freeze for 3 months. Refrigerate if it has lemon glaze or frosting.
Almond Poppy Seed Lemon Cake Recipe
- 1 3/4 cup almond flour, (180 grams)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour, (28 grams)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted & cooled (105 grams)
- 1/4 cup honey, (85 grams)
- 1/2 cup almond milk + 2 tablespoons, (150 ml)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 cup powdered sugar, , sifted to get rid of any clumps
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice
For The Loaf
- Begin by moving the oven rack to the lower third position. Preheat your oven to 350°F/180°C. Next, either line or grease a loaf tin, and set it aside for later use.
- Combine almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds in a large bowl, whisking until well mixed.
- Start by blending the eggs, then smoothly incorporate the oil, honey, almond milk, lemon juice, and zest until you achieve a lump-free, thick batter.
- Begin by pouring the batter into the lined or greased loaf tin. Then, place it on the lower rack of your preheated oven and bake for 45-50 minutes until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
For The Glaze
- Combine sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl until you achieve a smooth consistency. If the glaze is too thick, gradually add lemon juice to reach your desired thickness.
- After the loaf has cooled sufficiently, move it to a rack with paper towels beneath to catch the glaze, and then drizzle the glaze over the top.