Baking is an art that requires both skill and creativity. While most bakers are familiar with popular ingredients like flour, sugar, and butter, hazelnuts are an underrated and often overlooked addition that can elevate your baked treats to new heights.
Not only do hazelnuts provide a delicious nutty flavor, but they also offer several health benefits. In this article, we’ll explore the question, “What does hazelnuts do in baking?” and how you can incorporate them into your favorite recipes.
What Does Hazelnuts Do in Baking?
Hazelnuts are versatile nuts that can be used in many baked goods, including cakes, cookies, and bread. Here are some ways hazelnuts can enhance your baking:
- Adds a Nutty Flavor: Hazelnuts have a rich, toasty flavor that can bring warmth and depth to your baked treats. Roasting hazelnuts before adding them to your recipe will enhance their nuttiness and add a pleasant crunch to your baked goods.
- Provides Texture: Hazelnuts can add a delightful crunch to your baked goods, which makes them perfect for cookies and cakes. Chopped or ground hazelnuts can also add a velvety texture to your batters, making your treats more moist and flavorful.
- Enhances Nutritional Value: Hazelnuts are a good source of healthy fats, fiber, and protein, making them a great addition to your baked goods. Adding hazelnuts to your treats will not only enhance their taste and texture but also provide additional health benefits.
How to Incorporate Hazelnuts into Your Baking?
Now that you know what hazelnuts can do in baking, here are some tips on how to incorporate them into your favorite recipes:
- Chopped Hazelnuts: Chopped hazelnuts can be used as a topping for cakes, muffins, and bread. They can also be mixed into cookie dough or brownie batter for a nutty twist.
- Hazelnut Flour: Hazelnut flour is a gluten-free alternative to wheat flour and can be used in cakes, cookies, and bread. Hazelnut flour will add a nutty flavor and a velvety texture to your baked goods.
- Hazelnut Spread: Hazelnut spread, also known as Nutella, is a delicious addition to baked goods. You can use it as a filling for cakes and cupcakes or as a topping for muffins and toast.
Hazelnuts are a good source of healthy fats, fiber, and protein. They also contain vitamins and minerals that can support your overall health.
Hazelnuts should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer to prevent them from going rancid.
Yes, hazelnuts can be used as a substitute for almonds in many recipes. However, keep in mind that hazelnuts have a stronger flavor and may alter the taste of your baked goods.
Hazelnuts are a versatile and delicious ingredient that can add a unique twist to your baked goods. From adding a nutty flavor to providing a satisfying crunch, hazelnuts can enhance your treats in many ways. So the next time you’re in the kitchen, consider incorporating hazelnuts into your favorite recipes and discover what they can do in baking