A tres leches cake, also known as a pan tres leches cake, is a sponge cake soaked in three types of milk: evaporated milk, condensed milk, and heavy cream. Tres leches is a very light cake with many air bubbles when no butter is used. Tres Leches Cake’s key ingredients are evaporated milk, condensed milk, and heavy cream.
Tres Leches Cake Recipe
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Using nonstick frying spray, grease a 913" pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium mixing basin. Divide the eggs between two mixing bowls.
- In the same bowl as the egg yolks, add 34 cup sugar and beat on high speed until the yolks are pale yellow. Stir in 13 cup milk and the vanilla extract. Pour the egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and stir gently (do not over-mix) until barely incorporated.
- High-speed electric beaters should be used to beat the egg whites. As the whipped cream begins to form stiff peaks, gradually add the remaining 14 cup of sugar. Gently fold the stiffly beaten egg whites into the batter, scraping the bottom and sides of the bowl as needed, until completely incorporated.
- In a small mixing dish, combine the evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and whole milk. Poke holes all over the top of the cake with a fork once it has cooled.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture over the cake's top, making sure to get close to the sides and all the way around. Allow the cake to soak in the milk by refrigerating it for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Meanwhile, beat the heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract together until stiff peaks form. Smooth the top of the cake with a spatula. Cinnamon should be sprinkled on top. If desired, garnish with fresh sliced strawberries. Enjoy!
- Carbohydrates: 50g
- Protein: 9g
- Fat: 22g
- Saturated Fat: 13g
- Cholesterol: 152mg
- Sodium: 171mg
- Potassium: 344mg
- Sugar: 41g
- Vitamin A: 865IU
- Vitamin C: 1.7mg
- Calcium: 242mg
- Iron: 1mg
Tres Leches Cake is an exceptionally light sponge cake soaked in a sweet milk combination that literally means “three milks.” It is widely consumed throughout Mexico and Latin America, as well as in the United States, where it is frequently served at Mexican restaurants. The cake resembles angel food cake in appearance. The extra airy and spongy texture comes from the whisked egg whites in the batter. After baking the cake, poke holes in it with a fork and pour three different types of milk over it: evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and full milk, hence the name “tres leches.”