Looking for a tasty and simple breakfast or brunch recipe? Search no more, for the Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake is here! This cake melds the sweet, juicy blueberry flavor with the nutty almond taste to craft a moist, crumbly treat suitable for any event.
Whether you’re a fan of classic coffee cake or looking for a low-carb and gluten-free option, there’s a blueberry almond coffee cake recipe out there for you. So why not try making this brunch sensation today and treat yourself to a slice of heaven?
Key Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake Ingredients & Why
All-purpose flour in the streusel and batter gives structure and texture to the cake.
Granulated sugar in the streusel and batter adds sweetness.
Kosher salt in the streusel enhances the cake’s flavor.
Butter in the streusel and batter brings richness and flavor.
Almond flour in the batter provides a nutty flavor and moist texture.
Baking powder in the batter helps the cake rise.
Eggs in the batter provide structure and moisture.
Vanilla extract in the batter adds flavor.
Almond extract in the batter imparts a nutty flavor.
Whole milk in the batter adds moisture and richness.
Sour cream in the batter adds moisture and tanginess.
Blueberries in the batter offer fruity flavor and color.
How Do You Make The Best Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake?
- Mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, blend egg, buttermilk, butter, and extracts. Gently fold this mixture into the dry ingredients until moistened. Add 2/3 cup of blueberries for that extra touch.
- Grease an 8-inch square baking dish. Add blueberries, sprinkle almond-cinnamon sugar mix on top. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Allow it to cool on a wire rack.
Pro Tips For Making Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake Recipe
- Opt for fresh blueberries to prevent excess moisture in your dish.
- Let eggs, butter, and sour cream sit for 30 minutes before starting for a smoother blend and perfect texture.
- Ensure easy removal by greasing and flouring a 9-inch straight-edge cake pan for your coffee cake batter.
- Elevate the cake’s flavor with almond extract instead of plain vanilla.
- Enhance your cake with sliced almonds, either mixed into the batter or used as a topping.
- Make this cake in advance and store it covered for up to three days, maintaining its incredible moistness and flavor.
- Use buttermilk in baking for a tangy, moist texture; it’s a common ingredient in blueberry almond coffee cake recipes.
- Add a delightful almond streusel topping to your cake: combine melted butter, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon for a sandy texture, then sprinkle it over the blueberry cake and finish with almonds.
How to Store Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake
- Store the cake at room temperature for 3 days.
- For extended storage, refrigerate the covered cake for up to 1 week. Allow it to reach room temperature for 1 hour before serving.
- Freeze the cake for up to 3 months. Wrap it in plastic and aluminum foil, then thaw overnight before serving.
Can You Freeze Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake?
Freezing blueberry almond coffee cake is a breeze. Simply follow The Slow Roasted Italian’s recipe for beautifully frozen slices. Wrap them individually, pop them in a resealable freezer bag, and when you’re ready to enjoy, just thaw on the counter for 10-15 minutes. MyRecipes and Jam Hands also recommend this handy freezing method.
Frequently Asked Questions About Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake
What is blueberry almond coffee cake?
Indulge in our Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake, a delightful treat seamlessly blending blueberries, almonds, and coffee. Perfect for breakfast or dessert.
What are the ingredients in blueberry almond coffee cake?
Blueberry almond coffee cake recipes often have varying ingredients, but they typically consist of flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, eggs, butter, buttermilk, blueberries, and sliced almonds. Additionally, some variations may incorporate coffee or almond extract for added flavor.
Can blueberry almond coffee cake be made ahead of time?
Planning to enjoy blueberry almond coffee cake later? Simply make it in advance and keep it in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days, or freeze it for up to a month.
Blueberry Almond Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/ teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoo vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup or frozen blueberries, divided
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Start by combining flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. In another bowl, skillfully whisk the egg, buttermilk, butter, and extracts until they form a harmonious blend. Now, carefully fold this mixture into the dry ingredients, ensuring just the right level of moisture. Finally, introduce 2/3 cup of succulent blueberries to complete the ensemble.
- Start by greasing an 8-inch square baking dish, then evenly distribute the blueberries. Sprinkle the almond, brown sugar, and cinnamon mixture over the top. Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the center. Let it cool on a wire rack.