Looking for the perfect fall dessert? Check out the Apple Caramel Cake Recipe! It combines spiced cake, caramelized apples, and rich buttercream frosting for a delightful autumn treat.
Whether you’re looking for a gluten-free option, an upside-down cake, or a gooey butter cake, there’s a recipe out there to suit your tastes. So why not try making your own apple caramel cake today and indulge in the sweet, comforting flavors of the season?
Key Apple Caramel Cake Ingredients & Why
Diced apples are a crucial component in caramel apple cake recipes, providing moisture, texture, and flavor.
Most recipes specify either vegetable oil or olive oil, which plays a vital role in maintaining the cake’s moisture and tenderness.
Both granulated and brown sugars are commonly used, contributing sweetness and creating a tender crumb.
Eggs act as a binding agent, enhancing moisture and richness while holding the cake together.
Caramel apple cake recipes typically call for all-purpose flour to provide structural integrity.
Cinnamon, a prevalent spice in these recipes, imparts warmth and flavor to the cake.
Baking soda serves as a leavening agent, facilitating the cake’s rise.
Caramel sauce, a pivotal ingredient, adds sweetness and imparts a rich, buttery flavor to the cake.
Salt is utilized to balance the cake’s sweetness and elevate its overall flavor profile.
How Do You Make The Best Apple Caramel Cake?
- Combine oil, sugars, and eggs in a bowl. Gradually add flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg to the mixture, ensuring thorough blending. Fold in apples, walnuts, and vanilla for a delicious treat.
- Grease and flour a 10-inch fluted tube pan, bake at 325°F for 1.5 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, and then cool in the pan for 10 minutes before moving to a wire rack for complete cooling.
- In a small heavy saucepan over medium-low heat, dissolve brown sugar, cream, butter, and salt. Transfer to a small bowl and cool to room temperature. Blend in confectioners’ sugar until smooth, then drizzle over cake. Optionally, top with walnuts.
Pro Tips For Making Apple Caramel Cake Recipe
- Opt for firm, slightly tart apples like Granny Smith or Honeycrisp for ideal texture and flavor.
- Grate the apples instead of chopping for smoother batter integration and uniform consistency.
- Use a whisk, not a spoon or fork, to ensure even mixing of dry ingredients.
- Prioritize room temperature ingredients for easy blending and a smoother texture.
- Avoid overmixing; combine ingredients until just blended to prevent a tough, dense cake.
- Prepare caramel sauce in advance for easier drizzling, allowing time to cool and thicken.
- Ensure the cake cools completely before frosting to prevent frosting melting and sliding.
- Elevate the flavor and balance sweetness with a touch of sea salt atop the caramel sauce.
How to Store Apple Caramel Cake
- For lasting freshness, refrigerate your cake if not serving immediately; it’s good for up to 4 days.
- Keep any leftover cooled cake fresh in an airtight container at room temperature, lasting up to 4 days.
- Caramel apple cake can stay at room temperature for a day or in the fridge for 3 days; if refrigerated, allow it to reach room temperature before serving.
- To preserve the moisture-rich apple caramel upside-down cake, tightly wrap and refrigerate it for optimal freshness.
- While best enjoyed on the day of baking, store any remaining cake in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Maintain the cake’s freshness by covering and refrigerating it for up to 3 days.
Can You Freeze Apple Caramel Cake?
- Seal the cake in plastic wrap to shield it from freezer burn.
- Prior to frosting, freeze the cake.
- To freeze single servings, slice the cake and wrap each piece in plastic or foil.
- Optionally, microwave each serving for a warm treat.
Frequently Asked Questions About Apple Caramel Cake
Can Caramel Apple Cake be Made Gluten Free?
Well Plated by Erin hasn’t ventured into the realm of gluten-free cakes with this one, so it’s a bit of an experiment.
How long does it take to make Caramel Apple Cake?
The Big Man’s World presents a swift and sophisticated caramel apple cake recipe, ready in just under 30 minutes.
What are the ingredients in Caramel Apple Cake?
In Chew Out Loud’s apple cake with caramel recipe, you’ll need a list of key ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, eggs, oil, vanilla extract, fresh apples, and luscious caramel sauce.
What is the texture of Caramel Apple Cake?
Sally’s Baking Addiction offers a delightful twist on apple cake – a soft, cinnamon-spiced cake topped with buttery caramelized apples.
Apple Caramel Cake Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups canola oil
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3-1/2 cups diced peeled apples
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Chopped walnuts, optional
- Start by mixing oil, sugars, and eggs in a large bowl until they blend well. Then, gradually add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg to the creamed mixture, making sure everything blends together. Finally, fold in the apples, walnuts, and vanilla to complete your recipe.
- Prepare a 10-inch fluted tube pan by greasing and flouring it. Bake at 325°F for 1.5 hours or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. After baking, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack for complete cooling.
- Heat and stir brown sugar, cream, butter, and salt in a small saucepan over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves. Afterward, transfer this mixture to a small bowl and allow it to cool to room temperature. Next, beat in confectioners' sugar until achieving a smooth consistency. Finally, drizzle this delectable glaze over your cake and, if you wish, sprinkle it with walnuts.