10 Interesting Facts About Gingerbread Cake
1. Settlers brought gingerbread to the Americas, adding affordable molasses.
2. Gingerbread's history dates back to ancient Greece, around 2400 BC.
3. Early gingerbread had breadcrumbs, almonds, rosewater, sugar, and ginger.
4. "Gingerbread" once referred to preserved ginger, not the dessert.
5. Medieval times saw gingerbread used as an indigestion remedy.
6. Queen Elizabeth I introduced gingerbread men cookies in court.
7. 19th-century fairs and carnivals embraced gingerbread as a popular treat.
8. The tale of "Hansel and Gretel" boosted gingerbread house popularity.
9. Gingerbread cake, associated with holidays, is year-round deliciousness.
10. Gingerbread cake's spice blend includes ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and more.