10 Interesting Facts About Genoise Cake
1. Originating in Genoa, Italy, Genoise cake is a delicate sponge.
2. It lacks chemical leavening agents, relying on air for lightness.
3. Whipping eggs and sugar creates a batter with airy volume.
4. Unlike some sponges, it uses whole eggs, no separation required.
5. Eggs and sugar are heated together to achieve "ribbon stage."
6. Genoise cake is lean, with added butter in some recipes.
7. A key element in French pâtisserie, used for diverse cakes.
8. Typically baked as a thin sheet for layering versatility.
9. Enjoy a simple and delicate Genoise cake with tea.
10. Italy's Genoise sponge's origin challenges common belief of French origin.