Eggs are a crucial ingredient in many cake recipes, providing moisture, structure, and a binding agent. However, what do you do when you don’t have an egg on hand or want to make a vegan or gluten-free cake? Fortunately, there are several substitutes for one egg in cake recipes that will do the trick.
In this article, we’ll share six of the best substitutes for one egg in cake, so you can still enjoy a delicious, moist cake without eggs.
- Applesauce One of the most popular substitutes for one egg in cake is applesauce. Applesauce provides moisture and can also act as a binding agent, making it a suitable substitute for eggs. To replace one egg in a cake recipe, use 1/4 cup of unsweetened applesauce.
- Silken Tofu Silken tofu is another great substitute for one egg in cake, particularly for vegan or vegetarian cakes. To replace one egg, use 1/4 cup of pureed silken tofu. It’s best to blend the tofu until it’s smooth to avoid any lumps in your cake batter.
- Yogurt Yogurt is a versatile ingredient that can be used in many recipes, including cakes. To substitute for one egg, use 1/4 cup of plain yogurt. Greek yogurt can also be used, but you may need to add a bit of milk to thin it out.
- Vinegar and Baking Powder A combination of vinegar and baking powder can also be used as a substitute for one egg in cake recipes. Mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar with 1 teaspoon of baking powder to create an egg-like consistency. This substitute works best in recipes that call for one or two eggs.
- Buttermilk Buttermilk is an acidic ingredient that can help to replace the leavening and binding properties of eggs. To replace one egg, use 1/4 cup of buttermilk. If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, you can make a substitute by mixing 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice with 1 cup of milk.
- Carbonated Water Believe it or not, carbonated water can be used as a substitute for one egg in cake recipes. It helps to create a light and fluffy texture, similar to what eggs would do. To replace one egg, use 1/4 cup of carbonated water.
Yes, you can! To substitute for one egg, mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water. Let the mixture sit for a few minutes until it becomes thick and gel-like.
Yes, mashed bananas can be used as a substitute for eggs in some cake recipes. Use 1/4 cup of mashed bananas to replace one egg.
Don’t let a lack of eggs stop you from making a delicious cake! With these six substitutes for one egg in cake, you can still enjoy a moist, fluffy cake without using eggs. Whether you’re vegan, vegetarian, or just looking for a way to switch up your recipe, these substitutes are easy to use and will produce great results.