If you love brownies and cheesecake, you’re in for a treat with Brownie Cheesecake! This delightful dessert features a fudgy brownie base topped with a creamy cheesecake layer, offering the best of both worlds. Various versions of this dessert are available, including classic recipes and innovative twists.
Some recipes use a marbled effect, while others incorporate different flavors like red velvet. Making brownie cheesecake is easy and can be done by adding a quick cheesecake topping to your favorite brownie recipe. So why not indulge in this decadent dessert and satisfy your sweet tooth?
Key Brownie Cheesecake Ingredients & Why
Unsalted butter enriches and moistens the brownie layer.
Semisweet or dark chocolate, whether in bars, chips, or chunks, forms both the brownie layer and the cheesecake topping.
Natural unsweetened cocoa powder intensifies the brownies’ chocolate flavor.
Two eggs bind and structure the brownie layer, with two more for the cheesecake topping.
Granulated and brown sugar sweeten both brownie and cheesecake layers.
All-purpose flour provides structure to the brownie layer.
Adds a subtle tang and rich flavor to the cheesecake topping.
Vanilla extract or paste deepens the flavor of both layers.
Enhances the brownie’s flavor.
Optional but enhances the overall chocolate flavor.
Some recipes use cornstarch for extra chewy brownies.
The key ingredient for the cheesecake topping; soften for easy mixing with other ingredients.
How Do You Make The Best Brownie Cheesecake?
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350°F (175°C) and don’t forget to grease your 9×13-inch pan.
- Prepare brownie mix: Stir brownie mix, water, oil, and eggs in a medium bowl until well blended. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Preheat oven to 350°F, grease a 9×13-inch pan. Mix brownie ingredients in a bowl and spread evenly in the pan.
- Create the cheesecake topping by mixing cream cheese, egg, and sugar until smooth, then swirl it onto the brownie batter for a delightful twist.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 22-25 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool, cut into 24 squares, and serve for a delightful brownie experience.
Pro Tips For Making Brownie Cheesecake Recipe
- Use high-quality chocolate chips like Ghirardelli for the best flavor.
- If you lack an 8×8 inch pan, create one or two using foil.
- To achieve a crackly brownie top, whisk eggs, brown sugar, and white sugar until thickened.
- Set aside about 1/2 cup of brownie batter in a small bowl. Transfer the rest to the parchment-lined baking dish, smooth it to the edge, and chill in the refrigerator while preparing the cheesecake topping.
- Beat room temperature cream cheese in a stand mixer or with an electric hand mixer until creamy. Add sugar, salt, and vanilla, then the eggs; beat until smooth. Scrape the bowl and mix again.
- Thin the reserved brownie batter with a tablespoon of hot water until it resembles cake batter. Dot the cheesecake’s top with spoonfuls of the thinned batter.
- Dollop most of the cheesecake batter onto the brownie and swirl with a spoon or toothpick, bringing some of the brownie batter to the surface for a textured swirl.
- Bake until just set, then cool and enjoy!
How to Store Brownie Cheesecake
- Let the brownies cool completely post-baking. Ensure the cheesecake portions are cool and firm before cutting.
- To simplify cutting, chill the brownies in the fridge first. Place them on a cutting board and use a sharp knife for smooth, crumb-free cuts.
- Store brownies in a medium-sized lidded container without stacking to prevent sticking. Seal securely, place in the fridge, and keep for up to a week.
- For longer storage, freeze in an airtight container. To thaw, transfer to the fridge and allow them to defrost overnight.
- Enjoy cheesecake brownies best slightly warm or at room temperature. Remove from the fridge 20 minutes before serving.
Can You Freeze Brownie Cheesecake?
You can freeze brownie cheesecake, but it may become drier upon thawing. To freeze, chill the brownies in the pan for 1-2 hours, then wrap them tightly in plastic and foil. Alternatively, freeze them individually.
When thawing, let them sit at room temperature for 30 minutes or microwave for 20-30 seconds. For optimal storage, use an airtight container in the freezer, and they’ll stay fresh for about a month.
Frequently Asked Questions About Brownie Cheesecake
Can brownies be made ahead of time?
Cloudy Kitchen suggests making brownies in advance and keeping them fresh in the fridge for four days in an airtight container.
Do cheesecake brownies need to be refrigerated?
To keep your cheesecake brownies fresh, store them in the fridge in an airtight container for up to four days.
Can this recipe be made with boxed brownie mix?
As per Cloudy Kitchen, your go-to brownie recipe or a convenient boxed mix can serve as the perfect foundation for your delectable cheesecake brownies.
Brownie Cheesecake Recipe
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package brownie mix
- 3 tablespoons water
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 large egg
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- Begin by preheating the oven to 350°F (175°C) and don't forget to grease your 9x13-inch pan.
- To get started, preheat your oven to 350°F and don't forget to grease a 9x13-inch pan. Next, in a medium bowl, combine the brownie mix, water, oil, and eggs until you achieve a well-blended mixture. Finally, evenly spread this mixture into the prepared pan.
- Streamline the cheesecake topping preparation by blending cream cheese, egg, and sugar until smooth, then swirling it onto the brownie batter.
- To achieve perfect brownies, bake in the preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes. You'll know they're ready when a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Afterward, allow them to cool in the pan, then expertly cut them into 24 squares before serving.