Craving something sweet and indulgent? Look at this Banana Caramel Cake Recipe! This delightful dessert blends the luscious flavors of banana and caramel in a moist, fluffy cake, adorned with creamy frosting and crunchy nuts.
Whether you’re hosting a party or just want to treat yourself, banana caramel cake is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth. With so many variations and recipes available, you can easily find one that suits your taste and skill level. Check out some of the mouth-watering options below!
Key Banana Caramel Cake Ingredients & Why
Ripe bananas infuse natural sweetness, moisture, and flavor into banana caramel cake while offering fiber, vitamins, and minerals.
Made by heating sugar until it turns golden brown, caramel imparts a rich, buttery flavor and gooey texture to the cake, typically using sugar, butter, and cream.
The primary dry ingredient in the batter, flour provides structure and texture, with all-purpose flour being the standard choice for banana caramel cake recipes.
Baking soda and baking powder
These leavening agents foster a light and fluffy cake. Baking soda reacts with banana acids to produce carbon dioxide, causing rising, while baking powder, with its acid and base components, does the same with other batter ingredients.
Butter contributes richness and flavor to the cake in both the batter and frosting.
Acting as a binding agent, eggs enhance cake cohesiveness, adding moisture and richness.
Sweetening the cake and ensuring a tender crumb, granulated sugar is the go-to for banana caramel cake recipes.
Balancing sweetness and enhancing flavor, salt is a key ingredient.
A light, fluffy frosting made from heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract, enhancing cake flavors and adding a creamy texture.
Brown butter frosting
A rich, nutty frosting achieved through browning butter, mixed with powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk, providing a caramelized flavor and smooth texture.
How Do You Make The Best Banana Caramel Cake?
- Greaseproof and line a 20cm cake pan.
- In a bowl, mix all ingredients, initially beating at low speed until well combined. Then, beat for an extra 5 minutes until the mixture turns creamy and smooth. Proceed by spooning it into a cake tin for baking.
- Bake for 40 minutes in a moderate oven, then briefly cool before transferring to a wire rack.
Pro Tips For Making Banana Caramel Cake Recipe
- Opt for ripe bananas for a moist, delectable cake.
- Elevate your cake’s flavor with the perfect pair: caramel and banana.
- Ensure a sturdy whipped cream frosting with a stabilized recipe.
- Enhance texture and taste with a cookie crumb coating, using digestive biscuits or graham crackers.
- Indulge in the nutty richness of brown butter frosting, a perfect complement to banana and caramel flavors.
- Prevent browning and enhance flavor by dipping sliced bananas in caramel before using them as a topping.
- Infuse extra flavor and moisture by baking bananas and caramel into the cake layers.
How to Store Banana Caramel Cake
- Chill the cake until 30 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate any leftovers after serving.
- Enjoy the cake within 2-3 days.
- For longer storage, layer aluminum foil over plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Store caramel in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. To use, let it reach room temperature or rewarm for a pourable or dippable consistency.
Can You Freeze Banana Caramel Cake?
Freeze banana caramel cake for up to 6 months. Simply wrap the cooled cake layers in plastic wrap to prevent crumbs and maintain stability during decorating. They can also be stored in the fridge for 3-5 days.
For longer preservation, freeze other cake varieties like banana cake, bundt cakes, and pound cakes, provided they’re adequately wrapped and cooled. However, delicate cakes like angel food cake, vertical cake, and pavlova are best enjoyed freshly made.
Frequently Asked Questions About Banana Caramel Cake
What size cake tin/tray should I use for banana caramel cake?
The size of your cake tin for banana caramel cake can differ based on the recipe. For instance, one recipe recommends a 22 x 30cm tray.
How long will banana caramel cake keep for?
Depending on the recipe and how it’s stored, the shelf life of banana caramel cake can vary. Some recipes recommend it staying fresh for several days.
What ingredients do I need to make banana caramel cake?
When making banana caramel cake, the specific ingredients can differ based on your chosen recipe. Nonetheless, common components comprise bananas, caramel sauce or frosting, flour, sugar, eggs, and butter.
Banana Caramel Cake Recipe
- 125g butter, chopped
- 1 cup firm packed Chelsea Soft Brown Sugar
- 3/4 cup mashed banana
- 1 1/2 cups self raising flour
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup firm packed Chelsea Soft Brown Sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 cup Chelsea Icing Sugar
- 1 cup chopped nuts i.e. walnuts
- Prepare a 20cm cake pan by greasing it and lining it with greaseproof paper.
- Begin by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl, and initially beat them at low speed until well combined. Afterward, continue beating for an additional 5 minutes until the mixture is creamy and smooth. Finally, carefully spoon the mixture into a cake tin.
- Place in a moderate oven and bake for 40 minutes, then allow it to cool briefly before turning it out onto a wire rack.